Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
DWx wrote:
Alan, if you don't mind me asking, what was your intention when you attended the TKD class?
My intention was to improve upon my kicking and flexibility skills mostly.

The karate school I belonged to closed down so TKD was an easy option to choose.

I actually brought and introduced many of my karate friends to the TKD school.

I won a gold medal in the TKD provincials at the time. The head instructor did not congratulate me he just said "I'm surprised you won"

The other instructor spent more time, giving out tips on how to beat me at sparring to the other black belts, than trying to helping me improve; due to many embarrassing moments for them, during when I was a white belt in their style.

The black belts there were giving me all kinds of excuses why they had poor sparring skill against me, while others tried to insulted me by say that "You watch too many martial art movies"

My intent was to learn TKD and not to be embarrassing anyone or to be disrespectful. I went there to learn, others there viewed me as a competitive threat.

Well, it sounds like that school is run by jerks.
They certainly had their way, not saying they were jerks, they were sport orientated which made students feeling vulnerable, outside of class.

The CI's were replaced shortly before I quit, perhaps they went on holiday or it was a permanent thing, don't know for sure; couldn't be bothered to ask at this point.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose for technical training is to teach students how to do the techniques. It is not supposed to be done at full speed or with full power because one - it's to show the proper way to do it and for two - the instructors job is not to injure students.

This is true for any martial art. The reason that Uke gives and goes with the technique is so that the instructor doesn't get hurt applying it and the student doesn't get hurt while he applies it. I watched a student with a huge ego, big bad dude complex, resist his instructor in a Judo class. You could see the frustration mounting in the instructors face until he caught himself and asked the student to sit down and called up another student. The student with the big ego lost some pride points after class when he asked the instructor to try that again on him. This time he went full speed and full power and slammmmmed him to the mat.

The point is, it's not that the technique doesn't work, it's that the object is not to injure the student. By being non-compliant you risk injuring yourself or the one your are practicing with. This is fine in a fight but in class there's no purpose for it as this is a place to learn.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
The purpose for technical training is to teach students how to do the techniques. It is not supposed to be done at full speed or with full power because one - it's to show the proper way to do it and for two - the instructors job is not to injure students.

This is true for any martial art. The reason that Uke gives and goes with the technique is so that the instructor doesn't get hurt applying it and the student doesn't get hurt while he applies it. I watched a student with a huge ego, big bad dude complex, resist his instructor in a Judo class. You could see the frustration mounting in the instructors face until he caught himself and asked the student to sit down and called up another student. The student with the big ego lost some pride points after class when he asked the instructor to try that again on him. This time he went full speed and full power and slammmmmed him to the mat.

The point is, it's not that the technique doesn't work, it's that the object is not to injure the student. By being non-compliant you risk injuring yourself or the one your are practicing with. This is fine in a fight but in class there's no purpose for it as this is a place to learn.

Solid post!!

While it might seem unclear as to our intentions when it comes to our brand of resistant training, and to an outsider of Shindokan, it has the appearance of abusiveness, it must be understood that we don't approach it with the mindset of One-upmanship because safety of the individual must always override anything and everything on the floor.

To push, even the very slightest, and push ever more, and continue to push in resistant training invites unwarranted injury of one or the other. Teaching and learning must have one thing above all things...respect for the individual over the respect of the training/learning aspects, and/or protocol.

I'll resist, as the CI, but not to the point of injury of either of us. I'll counter the resistance, as the CI, but not to the point of injury of either of us. Just enough so that the student knows that I was there; earn either side of resistance, BUT WITH SAFETY IN MIND AT ALL TIMES!!

Want to prove something to me or to whomever else, then resist, but not to the point of injury, and that means having the ability to recognize when it's time to stop. Want to pursue, after I've eased off and ordered the engage to cease, I will have a turn, and you will not like the outcome, and that doesn't mean I'm going to inflict extreme harm, but once again, you'll know I was there, and I meant business.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: