Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to be the dark cloud of hopeless negativism, but:

Think about it this way...

Go find a history book, and look up the Cultural Revolution in China. To say this was a "bad time" to be a martial artist in China would be an understatement.

Some masters were treated as enemies of the state and killed, or sent to "education camps" others went underground hid their skills, and still others left their homeland for greater opportunities abroad. Once the government realized what they'd lost, they started to try to get instructors out of the woodwork and re-hash what had been lost into "Wushu."

I will stand by my statement that you can get either equal or better levels of instruction in the US. For that matter, you can probably find it in England too. Sure there are probably some high-level super secret masters still in China who blow everyone else on the scene away....

What makes you think they will teach YOU? A good deal of stuff out there is still limited to families, not to mention Asians.

But you're talking about schools around Shaolin... you're talking about Wushu. No offense, but whoopee. You can learn wushu in plenty of places on both coasts here in the US without a major lifestyle change.

I've SEEN the people at these schools perform, and no offense, but you are not at their level. We're talking elite level athletes groomed since early childhood for athletic ability and ability to learn complex routines quickly. Not to mention teaching methodologies that come close to child abuse. But if you're tough, you're still going to have to deal with a certain amount of racial intolerance, language barriers, and teaching that is simply not geared towards a beginner.

Unless you have a higher calling (i.e. buddhism) then go to a Chinatown and find someone.

No offense, but:
1. you are a beginner.
2. beginners will gain little from elite-level wushu ATHLETE training. You will learn a few nanquan forms that you could have done anywhere else for less money, less abuse, and less time.
3. An English speaking teacher will help you UNDERSTAND what you're doing. In China, you will get something more like "that sucks, do again."

jmd161
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hak Fu Mun (Black Tiger) Swai Jiao

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Alot of that is correct.

I can't really say nothing to counter that.

I think it's still great to have a chance to train at the Shaolin Temple.You just have to realize it's a shell of what it once was.

jeff

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate what both tommarker and jmd161 have said, i cannot say that i totally agree with what you have both said, but i have appreciate your info and you have enhanced my knowledge in training in china.
http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

martialartist1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: no style as style

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,
ive recently been thinking of going to China to train in the Shaolin temple for one of there 4-8 weeks schemes. i dont really have much knowledge ot whats its going to be like but i do know that communication will be little and that the training will be tough. I am a commited martial artist though so i would think that the training will be an enlightening experience for me. Anyways do any of you know anything about the trainining in Shaolin temple and whether it would actually be a good idea to actually go and train there or not. If anyone of you has any information about it, it would be most helpful to me
Ad

yeh training chinese martial arts at the shaolin temple in china is the greatest and best a martial artist can do during their period of training. they say the shaolin temple is the best place in the world to train chinese martial arts and i think it truly is.
if you go there its a good idea to go with a team or a group who all want to learn, go as training trips, seminars, go as part of a tour and alternatively you can venture and find out the truth by yourself being self dedicated martial artist. You have to accept that when you train there it will be extremely intense and hard. For the first few lessons you would standing on one leg for over an hour or so. There will be loads of body conditioning, internal bodily enchancement, stretches, breathing patterns, exercise rountines, then you will move onto set chinese martial arts patterns and forms and so on......one of the most important aspects when training is to really concentrate and focus as best as you can. You will be listening to chinese/madarin language unless you are lucky enough to find an english language speaking master and if you cant listen to chinese/madarin then i suggest you find the english-speaking chinese master as well just to make easier four yourself.
Remember all the hard work you put in, you get back out beneficially and satisfactorily. yes your right you must be committed to be enlightened.
So expects the hardest and most wonderful training you will ever experience and never forget.
Being single-minded is the best way to achieve your desires, so goodluck with your training fellow martial artist student.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that the same view i took martialartist1, but after asking question and talking to some people, it doesnt seem that training in china is what we both will be expecting, just look at the responses we have recieved so far. its harsh reality i know
http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that needs to be considered right now is SARS. There may be travel restrictions and health concerns. I don't want to be a wet blanket but that is a consideration right now.

Sepultura
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kyokushin karate,wushu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS has a point,there are many traveling restrictions now.take SARS into consideration.

Sepultura
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kyokushin karate,wushu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS has a point,there are many traveling restrictions now.take SARS into consideration.just wait a while and think abt ur trip a little more.good luck

Omega-X
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Wow, I'd love to go over there and train in the authentic Shao-Lin temple, I'd like to say over there at least 3 years or so, no matter what the cost.

I honestly might check into that. Is there any more sites where I could get more information on that?

ah^gao
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Southern Shaolin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be fool by the information or research on internet or video clips, even handout brouchers.

If you go train in China without recommendation, you will be "chop chop" off your wallet. Most schools, associations, accademy in mainland China now are focusing on contemp wushu.

Not say you can't find any good master to teach your real wushu, but why would they bother to entertain you in the first place?

Tell you a ironical issue, as chinese, we wanna learn the art of Hung Gar, we don't go china or hong kong, we go poland or germany... hahaha... thats where the real master have migrated to...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: