Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in learning a grappling art next and was wondering if any of you could perhaps give me an idea as to what kinds of grappling arts there are...Jiu-Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I know of, but not much about them. Are any of them more beneficial to a woman?

Lori

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo, Jiu Jutsu, Brazillian and Gracie Jiu Jutsu, Aikido and Hapikido are all grappling arts. They are all useful for physically weaker people.

http://www.kickboxing.com has a lot of links to these arts that you could look into
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl, thanks Jack - but I'd also like people's opinions as to what they prefer and why.

Lori

-Unknown-

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm.... Jack i think u have ur info wrong - HapKiDo isn't a grappling art. It's primarily striking and it incorporates standup locks and stuff into its syllabus. Trust me HapKiDo is a striking art.

I suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Gracie Jiu Jitsu to everyone, cos i see these as the best grappling arts in the world.

Would they be beneficial for a woman? Well, i guess they're beneficial for everyone whose serious about their martial arts, although a woman might find grappling against a man a bit compromising when it comes to moves such as the guard and mount

I've grappled with a woman before and she was tough, although not physically stronger her technique was good and she had me all locked up.

Angus

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grappling is a very good skill and if you wanna be a good all rounded fighter then you need grappling along with striking! gracie jiu jitsu is very good as everyone has been telling you

i do the canadian style of jiu jitsu that is sanctioned under the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Association......our jiu jitsu encompases throws locks punches kicks and grappling so it is a good art that trains you well for the street as well as for competition

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Prodigy-Child. I've heard so much about it and considering that most fights end up on the ground anyways, it just makes sense to take grappling in addition to my kickboxing - not a helluva lot of good my spinning hook kick is gonna do on the ground... I'll do some research and decide where I'd like to train and I'll look for a school that teaches jiu-jitsu that's sanctioned under the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Assoc. I didn't know you were in Canada too! Thanks again...

Lori

-Unknown-

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiu-jitsu is a very good idea, Lori.
And also its great you are looking for an organized School.
Now jiu-jitsu is so popular there's a lot of fake teachers... same happends everytime there's a popular art around.
Good luck.
Angus, I think Hapkido is more stand up locking with strikes... i don't consider hapkido as striking Art, man ... we did more locking than striking in the school i was.
I guess it depends on the Teacher, maybe my teacher liked more the stand up grappling. Now im agree that hapkido doesn't have well developed ground grappling . For ground grappling, Jiu.jitsu, Judo, Sambo and wrestling are the answer...lol

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HapKiDo must be different everywhere - but it was created from a dude who did TKD and then went to Japan to study Aikido. All the locks and stuff i did was in our self-defense component of the syllabus. Strikes were our primary initiative.

Angus

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Chin na and Shuai-chiao both Chinese grappling arts.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what are your opinions of these in comparison to say jiu-jitsu Iron? Are they as good, in your opinion?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: