Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Happiness and martial arts. Reply with quote

I have never really been a happy person, and most of the time have found life to be very unfulfilling, mostly cause I am an abuse survivor and I am often not treated that well by people.

So i was seeking happiness in my life (after all the bad you need some good, yes? in life)

Then I read in a book that 2 things required for happiness are

1. you do something that you are good at, that you get 100% enjoyment out of, and that you have a really zest and a passion for. and its a way of life.

and 2. You need a beliefe system to live by. whether that be a religion, a philosopher's writings, or so on.

I think I've found that in Shotokan. I get something I know I am good at, am passionate about, and throw myself into it.

and I get the belief system to live by in Mr Funakoshi's teachings.

I have a university degree, but getting that wasnt nearly so satisfying.

So I've already taken Shotokan and made it a way of life for me. and for the first time in my life, I'm truly feel satisfied in a bit of life.

so what do you think? Can martial arts help people find true happiness?

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose... Lots of things can, though, so it's such a hazy question!

I dunno, I find the ability to stand on my hands and do a snap kick to be pleasing to me, but not really happiness per se. My student, a mechanic, found the ability to creep around in low, confined places like under houses and cars without straining himself as he used to to be a great reliever of pain and fatigue. Is this happiness? It certainly didn't hurt. Being with my wife tends to make me happy. Did my training help with that? Maybe, maybe not.. Helping other people makes me happy.. does my art help with that? Again, maybe, maybe not. It's all so vague!

It seems that your self-determination was stolen from you once, and your studies give you the confidence that that you can keep your autonomy in the face of adversity in ways that were impossible to you long ago. I am glad to hear this, do carry on! But is it the martial arts -specifically- that do it? Who can say. =)

Train on..

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can martial arts help people find true happiness?

Yes!

I'm not good at anything outside of the martial arts! Everything else that I've done and that I do, are nothing more than a dabble and/or a mere whim.

1) God
2) My wife
3) My kids
4) My family [relatives]
5) My friends

These brings me the greatest happiness. This type of happiness is paramount in my life, but, the martial arts brings me a different type of happiness that can't be found from the list above [#2 - #5]!

UnKnownsenSei
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: many...creating my own now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i truly believe so my friend. i am a person who really never understood the whole religious thing. the concepts was too vague for me. i became upset because many people told me that happiness comes from firm belief in god and the religion u practice. I took that in and studied as much about religion as possible but could never discover happiness. Later on in my life I started becoming more philosophical and analyzed much more about my place in the universe. I became satisfied with the idea that Helping people in need is where my Happiness comes from. I also found out that the laws taught to me by my martial art instructor helped me to become not only more spiritual but mentally tough and disciplined. At that moment i decided to live my life trying to better myself and the world around me through KARATE. I believe that this thing called "martial arts" is the only thinng that truly makes me happy. I understand you man.

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwwe, thanks, everyone.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Parsonator73
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate, Kenpo, Kajukembo, Shaolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think that martial arts can bring happiness. Karate makes me happy. I'm pretty good at it, and it is sometimes the only thing I look forward to throughout the whole week. It is one of the only things that I chose to do, unlike school and work which I have to do. I always feel good when I go to class and spend time training.

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is the benefits of Martial Arts and not so much the art it self that contributes to happiness. Increased Health and Wellness coupled with more energy to enjoy other things in your life like you wife, children etc. An improved self esteem to help deal the more unpleasant things that life constantly throws our way. Being around people who share similar interests can create some great friendships and a family atmosphere.

Theses are just my top benefits that I feel make me happy.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can, but it depends from the individual right? Not everyone enjoy sparring and hitting someone, even when it's just training.
But I surely do . I don't know what would I do without Karate, and I agree with the philosophy thing, I'm not a very religious person neither.
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is sorta in line with JusticeZero.

A lot of people experience bad situations through no fault of there own. When someone is trapped by circumstances that they can’t control it becomes a terribly frightening and helpless experience. Even when the source of that negative experience is removed it can leave a person emotionally and physically damaged, which can in turn cause the victim to seek out answers. I think when one learns to accept that there may not be an answer that will validate their question of “why” that person beings to heal. Martial arts may be your path to healing by showing you a way to accept the things that you can’t change [past] while providing you with the framework to identify the things you desire to change [future].

I may be a lot different than most because I don’t think that anything happens for a reason – everything is arbitrary. For me, accepting everything is arbitrary allows me to accept things for what they are.

Either way – Good luck in everything you do because you deserve it [never let anyone tell you any different].

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Shotokan is what does it for you, then that is great news. I'm glad that you have found it and that it has helped you in this way. Different things do it for everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: