Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
The Gracies are not extreme athletes or even big and built...although they do have dedication and genius.

No, they aren't "extreme athletes" (whatever that is), but every time I see a pic of one of them without a gi, it seems they are more muscular and fit than most people I know or see on the streets.

What makes a huge difference between the Gracie brothers and the rest of us, is that they are a huge family born to a family with a BJJ master father. Then the guys have wrestled with each other several hours a day since they were 4 or 5! How can you beat that with the usual "I started going three times a week to the local karate class when I turned 15" -story? When we were sitting in the playground, poking matchbox cars with sticks, they were already wrestling with each others while their father showed them the intricacies of BJJ.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said..they do have dedication.

However you have to remeber Royce was outweight and outmuscled by a drastic amount in most of his fights...they are athletic yes...but their strenght/cardio, etc isint above most fighters imo.

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate 4 life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anywhere i can see these guys fight or what they look like??

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan_Karate0 wrote:

Try http://www.sherdog.com/ but I'm not sure if you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Sherdog.com was mentioned, I might add that one of the best discussion forums for those specifically interested in K1 (and other MMA sports) can be found there. And now that K1 has been part of the topic too, here is the K1-FAQ from the Sherdog.com forum: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51771

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan_Karate0 wrote:

Did you see the 5 or so videos of karate guys I posted in this thread?

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS i tryed but they didnt work

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to right click and choose "save as...". If you just left click the link, it may seem like it doesn't work as it takes time to download. Also, is your Media Player up to date?

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill try that

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer-monster wrote:
As a thought, does the MMA out there think that we humble karateka would stand a much better chance if we found more effective ways to deal with shoot attacks and were more practised with them (personally I could try a Tawara gaeshi but I'd rather not as I'm small).

I know it takes much more, but what how much would you say our chances would improve if we could do that much at least and well.

It would take a lot more then that.

You would have to change the posture to a more crouched one with the chin tucked, otherwise you are too much of a target.

The footwork would have to change to be on the balls of the feet and more mobile then most karate-ka.

You're hand positioning would have to come up higher.

You would have to get rid of the traditional blocks and keep things in tight, evade and cover, let the punch come to you. Otherwise anyone throwing boxing combinations will mow you down.

Your kicks would have to loose the chambering, otherwise they are too east to see and shoot on.

You would need extensive work in the clinch, tie ups, strikes, take downs, takedown defence.

You would need extensive work on the ground, submission defence, strike defence, striking, escapes and transitions at a minimium.

And to be honest you would likely have to drop doing kata to train for it as kata teaches you the very things you should not do.

There are countless other things that you would have to change, it is not just about learning to sprawl.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: