Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

striker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to get informative responses to this question please. i am a combative kickboxer. and while sparing a few days ago, i injured my shin while executing a kick. we were sparing (moderate contact)... i had my partner cornered and he began to
panic and began to block... as he did he lifted his knee as i threw a mui tai kick to his leg... it was to late for me to stop the kick in motion and i ended up bruising my shin badly... the swelling was instantanious... i imediately began icing it and took antinflamitories for the swelling... it is improved, but i would like to prevent its occurance in the future... so here's my question:

does anyone know any exercises or training regiments to strengthen the shin bones? (please, only exercises that are effective and used by you personally...)

if so would you please describe exercises and regiments... where i live there are no other places to gather this type of info....

i would like to have shins of steel and i figured who better to ask than thaiboxers who have the toughest, most unbreakable legs
in the arts...

Thanks so very much...

With hard work, any dream can become reality...

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something you should be brining up with your instructor. Bagwork, "rolling" and other techniques will help 'toughen' your shins. You should do this in conjunction with herbal wine (medicine - dit da jow).

Even if you train your shins, there can be someone out there with tougher bones naturally. There is no real way to prevent such injuries. But in the case if sparring, wear protective equipment, save your body for the match. If we sparred all the time, we would be in no condition to fight in the ring. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you should where shin pads it helps a lot and also try kicking hard bags to toughen your shin up!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear shinpads when sparring. You really can't make your bones "tougher" but you can deaden the nerves. I don't do any shin-conditioning, as I don't buy into the myth of it all. Just be smarter when training and use those shin-pads!!
These guys that "roll" their shins have just bought into the myth of it all. It might make them more confident, but the bone is still the same. They believe it works, so it might very well have some kind of effect on their fighting, but the truth is that there isn't any evidence to back the claims up. You can spend years "rolling" your shins or you can do better things like train.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience where I hit a guy right on his elbow with the top of my foot. It hurt like hell!
I put that one down to shocking technique. It should have been my shin, so Ive got distance problems, and ideally my kicks should be economic, that is to only fire kicks when they are sure of hitting the target. So Ive got to work on timing, and while Im at it I may as well work on speed and power!
Improving the technique to as close to the ideal as possible will prevent these injurys. And make for awesome kicks to stike fear in heart of our enemys! (Or something..)

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to menshealth.com, there is a way to increase the size and strength of youre shin bones :

Every So Often, sprint as hard as you can for 1 minute.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats wierd you said that Slim...I just got over a fractured foot by doing the same thing.

An exersise you might want to try to develop the shin MUSCLE is reverse raises. Take a band across your toes/foot and pull back towards your body. This will hit that muscle that runs along the front of your shin

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolling doesn't do anything for you. only hitting the pads and the bags does.
don't listen to boxer cause he's a frail little sissy.
does your boo-boo hurt ya lil girl.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know Havoc, I was just about to flip out and write a nasty message, THEN I figured out who you were!!

You must be the fool whose elbow I broke my foot on. (LOL). Anyhow, you need to stop wasting time on the computer and train. See you Sunday puss.

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're pretty smart. i thought it would take you awhile.i'll see ya sunday,sissy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: