Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Higher guard in the street ? Reply with quote

Many MA and speaciall MMA , tends to look for a balanced guard, protecting the face , but avoiding the holes in the torax section and legs (for takedowns in some arts , ie).
But is it necessary in a street fight ?
I think that the average joe will try to maul your face with punches ....the chances you have to face Sagat or tito ortiz in a street confrontation are low.
The fact of having a high guard , doesnt stop you to take him down and give you a strong protection to your head , plus adding speed and reaction to the hands....and in the case that the guy try to take you down ( we are talking ' bout a brawler) you may sprawl with ease.}
Of course that ...there is the change that you might face a skilled wrestler....but that aint happen every day. Its a risk , I know.
Am I talking crap ? maybe its too late

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you make a good point. I don't know how much higher I would hold my guard than I do now, though. A savvy street fighter would take advantage of the open abdomen. However, it is an interesting point.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all about your instinct and reflexes. You could have any kind of guard you want as long as you are able to block to begin with. I've heard about people without any guard at all winning street fights.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping your hands in a position that allows for quick response and max protection to the majority of your upper body is important. Protecting your head specifically is crucial, has you said, most people will head hunt when placed under stress. But dont limit yourself to just protecting the face, even the most conditioned stomach wont stop a knife....

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even the most conditioned stomach wont stop a knife

well I am not talking about blades. Even the most conditioned hand or forearm cant stop a blade without damage either.You may stop the hand/arm carring the blade...but not the blade.

I am talking about a fight w/o external tools !

Quote:
A savvy street fighter would take advantage of the open abdomen

Yes....but he would need a lot of power (or mass) to KO you if he does not have the propper technique and movements. Is rare to get Koed by a punch landed on the stomach ( in the street).
Browlers in general dont use straight punches , and if they do , start the punch 1 feet behind their heads..

I am just making general affimations. Of course some street fighter could take advantage....As I said...it stills being risky.

Last edited by Rainbow_Warrior on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you never know if someone may pull a knife. It is always something to think about.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
But you never know if someone may pull a knife. It is always something to think about.

Agreed. Its been shown time after time that people who get stabbed often dont know they have been until its 2 late. A good rule of thumb is there are only 2 things you can safely assume in a self defense situation:

1. The other person is armed, and
2. He has friends.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when a person strikes a few at you, you can tell if he'll be all head shots, or if he's more likely to hit all over.

Interesting point!

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

username8517
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
A savvy street fighter would take advantage of the open abdomen. However, it is an interesting point.

How you have your guard can put you a distinct advantage simply by the example listed above--it lets you dictate the odds of where your opponent is going to strike.

Odds are we are all going to attack what we perceive as our opponents openings or weak points. And likewise, our opponents will attack us where they think our openings and weak points are . By knowing ahead of time what your opponents thinks is your openings, it allows you to be one step ahead of them.

For example, have a high guard and your opponent sees an opening in your abdomen--you can expect their first attack is going to be a body shot coming your way.

Keep a low guard and your opponent sees your head as exposed. Open your guard a little (to about shoulder width) and your opponent will see an opening down the middle. Bring your guard in closer and slightly turn at an angle and your opponent will see an opening on your outside.

A smart fighter will feed his or her opponent where they want to be attacked and destroy their opponent when the attack they want comes in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: