Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how your opponent is standing and what area you are going to be striking, all of the stated weapons are options.

One thing I'd like to point out about Shorin Ryu vs other systems that I've seen over the years is the way we execute a roundhouse kick.

Most systems I've seen telegraph the kick really badly. It leaves the floor and arch's around in a wide circle. Ours does it differently.

Envision: How do you do a front snap kick? Whether front leg or back, it "should" come up to the knee first then forward to contact, right? Our roundhouse does the same thing. It comes up to the knee first, THEN starts it's curved path to it's target.

To your opponent, it appears to be a front snap kick coming at you, until it curves over/past your front snap kick defense and gets you. I've pulled this on karate, TKD, TSD, Kempo and a variety of other disciplines and it usually surprises them because it's deceptive as hell!

Try it and let me know how it goes.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
Depending on how your opponent is standing and what area you are going to be striking, all of the stated weapons are options.

One thing I'd like to point out about Shorin Ryu vs other systems that I've seen over the years is the way we execute a roundhouse kick.

Most systems I've seen telegraph the kick really badly. It leaves the floor and arch's around in a wide circle. Ours does it differently.

Envision: How do you do a front snap kick? Whether front leg or back, it "should" come up to the knee first then forward to contact, right? Our roundhouse does the same thing. It comes up to the knee first, THEN starts it's curved path to it's target.

To your opponent, it appears to be a front snap kick coming at you, until it curves over/past your front snap kick defense and gets you. I've pulled this on karate, TKD, TSD, Kempo and a variety of other disciplines and it usually surprises them because it's deceptive as hell!

Am curious about this - from the description it sounds very like a 'question mark kick'. Is it the same kick in execution of if not i am curious how it differs - always good to learn some new techniques

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Montana wrote:

Am curious about this - from the description it sounds very like a 'question mark kick'. Is it the same kick in execution of if not i am curious how it differs - always good to learn some new techniques

I have no idea what a question mark kick is. Like I said, come up to the knee first straight out like you'd be doing a front snap kick, then twist the leg so it roundhouses to the persons knee, side, stomach, etc.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: