Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

How many fights?
1-5
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
5-10
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
10-20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20+
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valithor wrote:
where is the zero option?

Yup only picked one fight that I can think of in my life and this was 20 years ago. And I would not call it a fight really.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northren Ogre...

I appreciate your input on the subject. If you would be so kind... in your experience, how many of the incidents you've witnessed were ones you could see brewing a mile away compared to the ones that suddenly "exploded"

Stay safe!

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same her most of mine was in elementry and junior high. Since being in high school I been in 2 fights in high school and 1 were I would sort of call it a fight in the army. Not that I really wanted to fight. Only time I wanted to was MMA event ones. I need more trianing on that though lol! But those are okay since both parties agree and for me its more of a test to see were I am at in my skill levels with other experience martial artists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Northren Ogre
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my experiences, both in the nightclub and in the prison 75% of the fights you could see brewing. In the clubs you can pretty much pick out your trouble makers early on, however the nightclub is a business and there to make money, and you really can't just go and throw someone out because the act like an as s . Throw in the booze and competition for the attention of the ladies and you have people making bad decisions and then it becomes your job to deal with it. Most people can be talked out of the bar....some have to be thrown out. Those are the ones who have already decided that they are going to fight someone, and now the doorman is the perfect target because in the booze addled mind of a drunk, he has done nothing wrong and the doormen are now picking on him.These are the people who have no problems taking a shot at the doormen, and I'm not one to take a punch in the mouth and accept it.

Now in the prison things are a little different. With the increase of gangs and the fact that most offenders suffer from one sort of mental illness or another, you have the explosive violence. You have people who are already stressed out and the environment breeds hatred and machismo.
People there have little more than their "Rep" and once that has been called into question, especially in front of others then fights and worse break out.
Gang violence is a different beast altogether. A "hit" can be called in from the street, rivals will fight over drugs within the centre. These hits can be called to one offender who in the past has behaved and gotten along with everyone, and next thing you know he's pounding on some one with a can of soda in a sock. Shi t happens in jail and it goes from 0-60 in seconds flat.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly forgot.
for some, fighting/defending is their job.

but then i think most of you know what i'm getting at when i first made the distinction.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: