Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: How much does BJJ indirectly improve your wrestling ability Reply with quote

Say we have a BJJ black belt who decides to join a wrestling gym, is he likely better than guys who have trained for a year or are the sports too different?

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... it depends?

Is he still healthy? Young enough to be competitive?

Does he have a wrestling background?
Is his game super guard focused or more traditional top game?
What kind of wrestling? Freestlye or Greco?

All of that said, he most likely has a serious advantage in grappling over most of the people at the gym as he likely has AT MINIMUM a decade of experience on many of them.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much does BJJ indirectly improve your wrestling abil Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Say we have a BJJ black belt who decides to join a wrestling gym, is he likely better than guys who have trained for a year or are the sports too different?

Of course, mostly because we’re just too cool for school and are the awesomist evar!

Seriously though say you’ve got a bjj B.B. training 10 years- that’s still 10 years of grappling experience he’s got over his peers who would have 1-2.

The reverse happens often too. You see many former wrestlers get into bjj that hold a significant advantage over their peers (other blue belts) because they bring in 15+ years of grappling experience against an average of 2-4

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The techniques and goals of BJJ and wrestling are different. In wrestling you're trying to pin your opponent and in BJJ you're trying to submit your opponent. Some of the moves in BJJ are illegal in wrestling. For instance choking is illegal in wrestling but a very effective technique for winning in BJJ. So somebody with a BJJ background who goes into wrestling will find they can't use many of the techniques in BJJ because they're banned in wrestling. A wrestler would have no problem pinning a BJJ practitioner and likewise a BJJ practitioner would have no problem submitting a wrestler.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much does BJJ indirectly improve your wrestling abil Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Prototype wrote:

Of course, mostly because we’re just too cool for school and are the awesomist evar!

Seriously though say you’ve got a bjj B.B. training 10 years- that’s still 10 years of grappling experience he’s got over his peers who would have 1-2.

The reverse happens often too. You see many former wrestlers get into bjj that hold a significant advantage over their peers (other blue belts) because they bring in 15+ years of grappling experience against an average of 2-4

This sums it up pretty well. The only thing I'd add is the mindset of the black belt. Wrestling practices and rolls at a different pace than most (not all) BJJ facilities. Some BBs will make this transition without any problem. Some will just not adapt well to the pace. I'm in the second group these days. 45 is 45. In my early 30s I'd be fine jumping into wrestling practice. These days...hard pass. But if he's into it then more power. It will greatly enhance his skill set.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Wrestling and BJJ are not the same. Sure, the BJJ person will likely pick up things quick, but picking up the nuances of the sport will take time, and those who have actively competed will have an advantage.

There are some other factors to consider, too. BJJers are comfortable working from their backs. Wrestlers aren't afforded that opportunity. If you hit your back, your pinned and the match is over. If a BJJ guy goes to his back and then decides he is going to "go to work" to reverse, he will find himself pinned. Therefore, Wrestlers tend to be very aggressive. That's an adaptation that a BJJer would have to make.

Another aspect of it is the takedown game. This tends to differ from school to school, so it will depend on if a BJJer is skilled at takedowns or not. If a BJJer gets taken down and tries to pull guard, he probably just gets pinned. Another adaptation to make.

Then there's learning to work from Referee's position...a whole other monster...

...and now that we've addressed all that, we haven't delved into what style of Wrestling we are even doing here. I'm assuming Folk Style, the style found throughout the US in Kids, Middle and High School, and Collegiate Wrestling. What if we are talking about Freestyle or Greco/Roman? More very different beasts to look at.

The biggest bugaboo I have with your question is the lopsidedness of it; only one year of experience for the Wrestler. Kid's Wrestling is huge in the US, and "Kid's" is a bit misleading...high schoolers still participate in Kid's Wrestling. It is very possible that by the time a kid gets to his or her freshman year in high school they already have 8 years of experience in Wrestling.

I'm not trying to discount a BJJer's knowledge at all. But its way different than Wrestling.

What if the question was asked this way: "Say we have a BJJ black belt join a Judo club. Is he likely way better than those Judoka that have been training for a year?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: