Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How much should a karate school cost? Reply with quote

krunchyfrogg wrote:
I am trying to get back into the martial arts, and I found a dojo that I think I would like. When I got to talking to the head instructor about cost, I was instantly turned off. He told me the school`s tuition is $1750 for one year. I felt like it was too much, and it`d definitely out of the range of what I can afford.

What do you consider a fair price for a karate school? Are there any styles that are inherently less expensive to attend?

TIA!

I expect schools to charge in accordance with the income level/range in the neighborhood they are in. For example, if a school is in a well-to-do area, they can probably get away with charging that much because of the income level of the residents, home prices, etc.

My former martial arts school used to charge $65.00 a month for a single person's membership (no contract). Then, in the middle of the recession, the tuition was raised and I decided to end my membership. I do not live in a "wealthy" area, nor a "poor" one, however, to raise tuition at the peak of a recession when people are losing their jobs, (including myself) to me, is/was poor business-sense.

Let me also add that the $65.00 a month did NOT include any separate fees for testing, evaluations, etc.

If you think they are over-charging, I'm sure there are plenty other schools with competitive pricing you can find - and - you might even be able to negotiate a lower fee if you discuss things with the studio-owner.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toptomcat wrote:
Really the fact that they want to lock you in for a full year is a bigger danger sign than what the amount comes out to if you work it out month-by-month.

I have mixed feelings here. Went several years month to month and then discovered I was somehow losing money-in an attempt to sort things out I enlisted a billing company. All students were put on a "contract" for billing purposes only and I stopped accepting payments at the school. Lo and behold-I soon discovered that I had money again. Turns out an employee was skimming money from the tuition payments....they soon left when there was no more "cash flow"!! Employee gone, money safe, students happy that school remains open, no obligation cancellation policy, life is good!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Laurentina
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan & Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay 30€/month (more or less 40$) our school doesnt have long time contracts, you pay at the beginning of each month you want to attend.

Harlan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Matayoshi kobudo, beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who pays ZERO for karate and kobudo lessons, I'd suggest you do more research.

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
As a person who pays ZERO for karate and kobudo lessons, I'd suggest you do more research.

Point me in the direction of the free classes.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke

Harlan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Matayoshi kobudo, beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I don't know anyone in NJ.

My limited experience is that good karate doesn't always advertise, and one has to look hard to find it. But folks that prefer to teach and train, vs. manage and live off of their clients, are often found teaching in community centers, home dojos, etc. and the cost is usually minimal.

On the other hand, if you want belts, tourneys, and don't mind spending lots of money on an ego-trip, one doesn't have to look far to find offerings.

It's word of mouth. Good luck.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krunchyfrogg- I have a free place for you if you don't mind driving half an hour. PM me if you want details.

Last edited by Toptomcat on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My limited experience is that good karate doesn't always advertise, and one has to look hard to find it. But folks that prefer to teach and train, vs. manage and live off of their clients, are often found teaching in community centers, home dojos, etc. and the cost is usually minimal.

This. My school's free. Although if he were to charge $50 a month or so, I might be willing to do that. Anything more than that for two hour long classes a week is just too much, imho.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much should a karate school cost?

NOTHING! FREE!

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. There are obvious benefits to a school that allows the instructor to focus full-time on teaching their art rather than doing it as a volunteer sideline to whatever brings home the bacon for them: while plenty of frauds overcharge, there are also plenty of dedicated teachers who use the financial autonomy provided by being able to charge for their lessons to give them much more time to give lessons, train themselves, and figure out how to give better lessons.
There should be such a thing as a professional teacher of martial arts, and the martial arts as a whole would be a great deal poorer without them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: