Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion… and I’m certain this opinion is not for everybody.

While everyone’s personal goals will influence what they do and how they train, I’ve always felt a sort of responsibility to share what I’ve learned. When one knows something well enough, I believe they should teach it to help deepen their own understanding of it. While I ALSO realize that not everyone really can teach, or at least do so at varying degrees, I believe this should be #1. If I can’t teach it clearly and effectively, I don’t think that I know it well enough for myself yet.

Of course, it shouldn’t just stop there. Teachers need to be continuing their own training as well, or else their teaching could become stale and outdated, or stagnant and boring. This could be picking up another style, seeing where your own style, regardless of how much you love it, could also improve - fill the gaps. Start learning weapons and see how similar it can be to empty hand training, or the other way around.

In any case, just working on becoming better. Making a transition more smooth. Making a technique more snappy. Working on spending less energy performing techniques while increasing their effectiveness. Work on balance, flexibility, coordination, strength/conditioning. ANYTHING that continues to feed your inner fire.

And sometimes, while I hate to say it, no progress can still be viewed as progress (if it’s temporary). It’s only a problem if/when you start going backwards, or consciously decide to stay right where you are and keep your cup full.

Honorable mention: intellectual studies! Learn the language of where your style is from. Read/write books. Study philosophy. Learn calligraphy, a tea ceremony, anything!

There are endless ways to train, and endless ways to keep your fire burning. Not always easy to find what you want, but it’s out there. In one form or another.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:

While everyone’s personal goals will influence what they do and how they train, I’ve always felt a sort of responsibility to share what I’ve learned. When one knows something well enough, I believe they should teach it to help deepen their own understanding of it. While I ALSO realize that not everyone really can teach, or at least do so at varying degrees, I believe this should be #1. If I can’t teach it clearly and effectively, I don’t think that I know it well enough for myself yet.

When one teaches, two learn.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
scohen0300 wrote:

Absolutely!!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
scohen0300 wrote:

I agree 110%. When I teach something, whether that is in martial arts or teaching something to my son's Cub Scout pack, or when I was a Teaching Assistant in grad school -- it made me learn the material that much better so I could communicate it effectively to another person. Also, it makes you learn to present the material in different ways, since everyone learns differently. Presenting material in one way to student A may not work for student B. When you have different ways to present material, you can be a more effective teacher.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: