Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sos i have been a bit quiet lately, my comp flunked up again, anyways....
how do you perform the front flip?, back flip?, front role - in air?, back role in air?, basically most of the elements in break dancing?
it always facinated me how acrobatics/gymnastics and martial arts related to one another, and how if being a good acrobatic you would excel tremendously in martial arts,
i wondered if you guys good give some input of how to achieve some of the following above mentioned stunts, i am very flexible and able, being to jump quite high and if i knew the know how. and took time to practice to increase my general acrobatics, i feel i could achieve those above stunts,
-ad

10 and half stone

[ This Message was edited by: ad on 2002-02-01 18:03 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a simple question, how would you apply these stunts in a real fight against a highly competant and trained fighter?

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-basics.html

They have some of the moves there, good luck in your studies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonynousone, You don't need to learn something and have to apply it to fights. Some things are just for leisure. To do a front flip use your upper body weight to pull you through the circle. making sure that you get full rotation (front flips are easier to learn) To do a backflip use your leg's momentum to pull you around. (the only reason that learning a backflip is harder is becasue of a fear factor that is invovled.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now AnonymouseOne - do you know nothing?

Surely you have studied deeply such combative classics as "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"?

If attacked by a group of armed thugs outside the pub on a Saturday night, the ability to double backflip up the nearest tree is a truly a highly desirable skill!

Ahem, but seriously As we know well, not everyone studies martial arts for it's practical combative elements. This is Ok, as long as those peforming gymnastics for the sake of art know that! He's a 14 year old kid - he's playing!

It's a question of degree I suppose. Can you ever be TOO agile? I don't think so. But for me personally I don't have the time that it would take me - considering all the other areas I need to develop for the direction of development I seek. You can never be too strong, aerobically fit, coordinated etc etc unless the time devoted to maintaining it detracts from you overall goal.

As an example - I once trained with a guy who I consider to be the best kicker I have ever seen. I'm talking about ALL kicks from basic practical power to incredible jump spinning twisting backflipping whatnots. He could kick to the head from cold faster than most people can jab - In fact he was once asked by Guro Dan Inosanto to demonstrate this on a fellow JKD Instructor (who had said high kicks are not practical for the street) - and he could whap this guy up side the head at will! Now then - the problem was that it took him 3 hours a day, every day, just to maintain this level of skill - as a result the rest of his game was below par compared to his brother (who was still an excellent kicker but not in HIS league) who was also a good puncher, grappler and weapons fighter.

Phew - I'm rambling I know. I'll shut up now

Before I go - on the subject of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"? I watched it - once. I didn't like it. Where were all the Tigers & Dragons? Must have been crouching & hiding I guess

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot jack, but first in order to even get near these stunts i need to obtain a good balance, my balance is fairly good, i practice it by doing a front kick slowly and then followed by a back kick, all on one foot, then i do the same with the other, twenty each side, its helpin, have u master got any other ideas of how to improve balance ?,
jus cuz im 14, im not a kid, im a young adult , and i jus wanted to be more able to gymnastics, so i can perform more interesting martial arts stunts, such the 540 kicks and high round house kicks, i still am old enough to know what should be used and what shouldnt in a practical combat
-ad

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad, that Front Kick Back kick drill is useful, but even moreso if you change it to be a slow front kick, slow side kick, slow back kick

Balance, hmm, Try balancing on one leg, balance on balls of feet, balancing with eyes closes, handstands, headstands, basically anything that will involve balance will help you to improve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you some with the forward flip(this is how I got it)...

First get used to doing handstands - against a wall if you like. Then if you can, do the handstands with weights on youre legs; that way you can learn how to gain enough leg momentum you need to do the flip.

Once you can do that, try doing a forward flip with youre hands on the floor.

Then practice the flips on mats untill you get it..e.t.c

Sorry for the crude description, perhaps I can post some links for you l8r.

Gloi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 1st dan Shotokan, 1st kup TKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad - when I was about 11 I learnt to do front and back flips on a trampoline. Dead easy there because you have so much more time to do it in - and you don't get hurt when you mess it up. If there's a club near you it might be worth having a few goes and then you'll have the hang of the mechanics for when you do it from the floor.
I wouldn't like to try it now though I'm not so agile these days.

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep gymnastics out of streetfighting

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: