Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: How young would you accept your Karate Sensei to be? Reply with quote

How young would you accept your Karate Sensei to be?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is much less important than personality, character and skills( especially teaching skills). There is no specific age to be credible and acceptable as a karate teacher, other than being a fully responsible and mature adult.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies, my sensei was in his early to mid 20's when I first started training. Albeit he was a 2nd Dan at the time, then he got promoted to 3rd Dan when I was 11 and he was 25.

But he continued to study and learn from absolutely everyone and anyone that would be open to teaching him.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a school in town that's been open for several months. The head instructor is 17. The 2 assistant instructors are 15 and 14. That's too young in my opinion, but the school has about 50 students so I guess for some it's fine.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on their knowledge and ability. Age is never a guarantee of knowledge. However it takes the age that comes with many years to be knowledgeable enough to run a school and pass on said knowledge.

IMHO, I can't see a CI any younger than 25 minimum. I would expect the CI to be a Sandan to run their own school. Assistants would be a different story. However the example or a 17 yr old with a 15 and 14 yr old assistants is ridiculous IMO.

Age is a factor whether some would like to believe it is or is not. We judge based on age. If you do not believe this then I ask you what your first thought would be walking into a dojo and seeing a 10 year old conducting class? Second what would your reaction be if you then found out that they were the CI?

You might find that this 10 yr old can beat you hands down (I can't see this ever happening but for the sake of argument...) and ultimately win your respect. But the bottom line is most of us would walk out if we are being honest. Age makes a difference on both hands. Some would ask at what point would a Sensei be too old. The millenniums would be the factor in the too old argument. From what I have heard/read they would much prefer a teacher closer to their own age. Either way it plays a factor in how we perceive our teachers.

If you were a 5 or 10 yr old kid, a 18 yr old instructor wouldn't seem outrageous but that same 5 to 10 yr old might have an issue with a 50 yr old instructor. It's perception. However it's also how many years it should take to gain a specified grade. There are some that would say it makes no difference. But this IMHO is an excuse to shorten requirements. I personally would walk out if I saw a 18 year old Sandan teaching class much less a 10 year old Shodan/pick a Yudansha grade.

However I would have no issue with taking instruction from a 25 to 30 year old instructor. I also would not have any issue taking classes from a 90 year old instructor. However I would expect the 25 to 30 to be Nidan to Sandan grading and the 90 yr old to be at least a Nanadan to Kudan grading. I would not expect to see the roles reversed. Unfortunately in this day in age you will see 25 to 30 yr old Hachidan. ABSOLUTE JOKE!

For this I wouldn't walk out of class I would run.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skullsplitter wrote:
There's a school in town that's been open for several months. The head instructor is 17. The 2 assistant instructors are 15 and 14. That's too young in my opinion, but the school has about 50 students so I guess for some it's fine.

That is honestly too young to be a Head Instructor IMHO! As you have the safety of those that you are teaching.

Knowing me when I was 17, there would be no way that I would want to run the risk of having getting someone injured or anything like that.

Also I don't want to know what the premiums are like for his insurance that he would have to pay are like. When I started mine, the premiums were higher because I am relatively young (25 Years Old).

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time in 2011 both teaching "Tang Soo Do" 27 Chloe and 19 Grace two talented martial artists; the Bruce sisters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vb2EkzBwlA

Even though being twice and three times their age; if close by, I would enroll in their classes.

Chloe Bruce kata:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ID7ZGQui2I

The way I see it, if they are old enough to teach me something, then I'm still young enough to learn.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 years old, and Sandan!!

18 years old at Shodan
19 years old at Nidan
21 years old at Sandan

Minimum!!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To assist with an adult instructor in the room at all times-- maybe 14-16 depending on their maturity level.

To teach a class alone-- at least 18, but they'd have to be a very mature 18-year-old with a lot of training on how to be a good instructor and what to do in case of emergencies. 18-year-olds are certainly capable of running a school, but it takes a very motivated and well-trained 18-year-old to do it well.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say age can be a bit arbitrary. Someone who's grown up in a dojo (starting at age 5 or 6) would probably do just fine teaching, even at age 16 or 18, though legal reasons would dictate that 18 should be a minimum. It really boils down to maturity and experience, and not age for me.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: