Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: I am facing the toughest part of my martial arts journey! Reply with quote

I have been a member since 2009 and first time I am facing this problem in a real way. Perhaps this is something we all face but to me it cuts in to me in many layers. I have recently questioned the effectiveness of my style ( boxing/karate/kungfu) ever since I immersed my self in Sambo. This sambo is incredible!!!

Let me tell you this...

Sambo moves are actually closer to the original judo. Meanwhile modern judo has been watered down and it became its own thing. In the sambo I am learning, I feel so assured. Like I don't even feel like I could kick anyone's rear end, its the fact that it feels like coding. You add the html, the header, the body, the div and you create ornaments. Now I am new in coding and I see so much of it be like sambo.

The difficulty is the fact that I have to acknowledge that there is a martial arts style that is simply superior to my style. I don't mean in a sense of who wins in a fight. But rather an art form that instills so much metaphoric goodness. If done right, moves look clean, teachable to civilians, great for sport grappling and its combat version is good for self-defense and combat sports format. It can be taught to law enforcement, nurses, doctors and paramedics.

Overall I know that sambo learn its style from judo/boxing and various forms of miscellaneous martial arts and so its important not to get too attached in what you are practicing. For me I have reached a point where I have to give major props to a style of martial arts that is secondary for me.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
I have been a member since 2009 and first time I am facing this problem in a real way. Perhaps this is something we all face but to me it cuts in to me in many layers. I have recently questioned the effectiveness of my style ( boxing/karate/kungfu) ever since I immersed my self in Sambo. This sambo is incredible!!!

Let me tell you this...

Sambo moves are actually closer to the original judo. Meanwhile modern judo has been watered down and it became its own thing. In the sambo I am learning, I feel so assured. Like I don't even feel like I could kick anyone's rear end, its the fact that it feels like coding. You add the html, the header, the body, the div and you create ornaments. Now I am new in coding and I see so much of it be like sambo.

The difficulty is the fact that I have to acknowledge that there is a martial arts style that is simply superior to my style. I don't mean in a sense of who wins in a fight. But rather an art form that instills so much metaphoric goodness. If done right, moves look clean, teachable to civilians, great for sport grappling and its combat version is good for self-defense and combat sports format. It can be taught to law enforcement, nurses, doctors and paramedics.

Overall I know that sambo learn its style from judo/boxing and various forms of miscellaneous martial arts and so its important not to get too attached in what you are practicing. For me I have reached a point where I have to give major props to a style of martial arts that is secondary for me.
Better to have a wake up call now than to continue on to never waking up; consider yourself fortunate.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes a while to find the style that is right for you. If Sambo is it, go for it!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
Sometimes it takes a while to find the style that is right for you. If Sambo is it, go for it!
I agree. I think this just happens as we progress in our MA journey. It sounds like Sambo should maybe become your primary style, if you can swing that.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial art is a vehicle, you just found the right one you like to take you where you want to go.

I found mine many years ago and I am still trying to find its many features and I am happy with my first vehicle.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Sambo?
https://youtu.be/fMrXKBH7Hsk

Sambo the most powerful martial art
https://youtu.be/vi6NVjcIUfw

Perhaps looking at some Sambo moves might help in seeing the realistic potentials of this topic.
https://youtu.be/m4_AEhV0Ayw

What makes Sambo so different?
https://youtu.be/XnwCkoWAFcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: