Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't this what Gichin Funakoshi went through in his training? Endless drills, little praise but much correction, etc? As a teacher myself (though not of MAs!) I don't think it's a good teaching method, but there is at least a good deal of precedent!

I teach as well (Russian) and would never use this method in that context. However, I think it works very well in the context of martial arts. Different strokes, y'know?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

muaythaiposer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old situation was very much the same as yours Taokara (canadians, age, mannerism with teaching...), but it's how they treat you in terms of respect, what type of jokes they cracked, what type of person the senseis put out in general. I felt I didn't receive the respect i should have gotten, and left.

hmmmm, one of the instructors didn't even call me by my name until the last week of my paid term there, and the other didn't even acknowledge my presence.... i think that's a huge cue to leave

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally get fueld by my lack of appreciation and when do they say something good i strive on it but that is very few and far between. Like last week sparing class i watched my master do this one technique so many times ,and i saw a oppening where i could use it the technique was back fist reverse then the guy counters and you use a spinning back kick. One sensei said Ahhhh the kids learning! He was refferring to the other sensei which was like his favourite Technique.

These people are actually very good people they joke with me quite a bit. Though one sensei is very old school like i was doing a form and asked for the next bit and he asked me to show what i know. Then he was like you missed the palm heel and i was like no i didnt and i showed him again. I didnt raise my voice or roll my eyes or do any bad body language and he told me to watch my tone and allways show respect to him or he'll kick me with a roundhouse to the head and knock me out. That made me feel very bad the way he said it and i was very upset because thats not really how he is so i strove to do better.

My master allways brags about his day when he was in top shape and used to streetfight and all these other things he does. But now that he has a heart condition he cant do that anymore. So personally for me thats a motivator as well.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Update* Well two days ago in a sparring class i casualy asked my master what i could improve on. He said my technique is good and im fast but I could pull back my foot faster after a kick and throw in more fakes. He also said since im a tall guy i should fight in a lower stance. Well coicedence two days later ^_^ today my other master said well taokara your technique is good but your kata's could look better. I was thinking to myself what can i improve on is there something i dont see in my kata's that im doing wrong. Can you guys give me a opinion on what a good kata looks like.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the usual kata complaints are better stances, more power, sharper quicker blocks, faster punches, crisper kicks, more fluidity.....

It is really a rare thing to see a kata done flawlessly. Many think there is no such thing as the perfectly executed kata. It is a goal to shoot for.

Watch classmates of varying ranks perform the same skills. There should be a difference.

Ai Hate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-03 12:54, muaythaiposer wrote:

hmmmm, one of the instructors didn't even call me by my name until the last week of my paid term there, and the other didn't even acknowledge my presence.... i think that's a huge cue to leave

now that's one reason.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitseach:
...and the day you DO get a grunt, nod or a "not bad" you will smile as you have never smiled before!

yeah, the day we white belts ran through our first kata and my sensei turned to me and said i was "ok", then turned and started correcting some others was a real

about kata, i agree with SaiFightMS. nit pick everything and "fluidity" is very important. probably the hardest since it'll come after you've got everything right.
other things are such as focus, concentration and imagination (that you're really in a middle of a fight). and always know what this technique does, as it will make you undestand the kata more.
$.02

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taokara, what belt are you? If you are a beginner, don't put yourself down too hard. Just learn the basic (font kick, side kick, roundhouse kick) and the forms will come later. Remember to rechamber your kicks, and always have your knees bent, even in attention stance. Most beginners are terrible in their stances, especially the front stance and horse stance.

And why so much emphasis on your kata? Unless you are going to compete in kata competition, the kata should not look perfect.

"Without resistant, you will not grow as a martial artist or as a person. Fight your way through and you will become a greater."

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been doing ma for 2 years im only at orange belt. But you have to remember all schools grade vastly diffrently and at diffrent degrees of difficulty. I think my stances are good , but you can allways improve. I want to push myself hard in every area becuase therefor you will get better in every area. Forms are importent part of training combined with techniques and sparring of course.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: