Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sano
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: shidokan karate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he is refering to is a frot dropkick you know where you jump in the air kick both legs out and fall on your back thats why he said it hurt. Shoot it save my A** once in a full contact torney because once you fall to the ground they stop the match and give you 5 seconds to get up.

Breakdancer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I Finally quit the stupid school, I did what someone told me to do here, threaten him with a lawyer because i got my * kicked trying to use his unrealistic fighting methods yay!

mikS
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitemanwithchineseaccent wrote:
YES I Finally quit the stupid school, I did what someone told me to do here, threaten him with a lawyer because i got my * kicked trying to use his unrealistic fighting methods yay!

Just because YOU don't know what YOu are doing fighting doesn't mean that he's at fault at all. Sounds you got your butt kicked because you didn't know how to separate the street worthy techniques from the showy techniques. Lastly, i'm not sure if you can threaten your martial arts teacher because you got your * kicked using his techniques.

karate-ka
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate-do, Shito-Ryu Karate-do, Ninjutsu, Tae Kwan Do, wrestling!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what mikS said... Many forms of MA take a good while of practice before they can be used effectively, especially any showy techniques. You never mentioned how long you were practicing there, because it sounds like you are simply new and have no idea what the heck you are doing.

My advice to you, learn the basics somewhere they TEACH you the basics. And if you were taught the basics there, then you should have been wise enogh to use them instead of an advanced technique. Double kicks are something I happen to favor in certain circumstances, but they are not something to be used regularly.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok

first things first
no one uses "chinese" as a general name for far eastern origins. it refers to people of that country. a thai person would not call himself chinese and a chinese person would not call himself thai (would a canadian call himself american?)

his name says that he has a chinese accent.
if english is your proper first (not mother) tongue and you use english in everyday life more than you do thai (which you don't know anyway), you will not have any accent. an accent occurs when you are used to speaking in a certain way (because different languages uses the mouth/tongue differently and so you are not used to some forms in the mouth).

back to the martial arts thing.

the only example of grasshopper i have seen is as shown as part of the shaolin "wheel of life" (as well as some of their other displays). if we are talking about the same style then i should tell you that it is a supplementary style, taught after the basic shaolin style is learnt. no one would be teaching it as stand alone because it is not a school (unlike mantis or eagle claw).

and if you have signed a contract, it is very hard to get out of.

i would like to know what your lawyer could've done against a guy who has a contract with your signature on it.

every way i look at it, it's all suspect.

well, that's my opinion (based on way too much education that cost way too much).
think what you like.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and any half intelligent guy trying to cheat people would have something on their contracts that goes a little something like this:

"we accept no responsibilty for injuries caused from the practice or from use of the techniques taught at this academy"

like i say, you said you signed it.
even if the thing is bogus you cannot annul a contract just because you lost a fight.

Bart the Lover
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the ground up wrote:
Quote:
if english is your proper first (not mother) tongue and you use english in everyday life more than you do thai (which you don't know anyway), you will not have any accent. an accent occurs when you are used to speaking in a certain way (because different languages uses the mouth/tongue differently and so you are not used to some forms in the mouth).

Firstly, I don't understand the distinction you are making between first
tongue and mother tongue. As far as I knew, mother tongue and first (or
native) tongue are synonymous.

How will he not have an accent? At the very least, he'll have an accent
consistent with his region. You seem to be asserting that people only have
accents if they speak an unfamiliar language (unfamiliar in that you did
not grow up speaking it). This means there is only one accent for English,
which is clearly not the case. Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't see how
else to interpret your post.

My first inclination is to agree with you on the supposed generic term for
the far east. It does seem a bit iffy. But I don't understand why it's getting
under your skin. So what if he's pretending to be something other than
what he is? What does it matter? This isn't even real life. It's the internet.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the ground up wrote:
ok

first things first
no one uses "chinese" as a general name for far eastern origins. it refers to people of that country. a thai person would not call himself chinese and a chinese person would not call himself thai (would a canadian call himself american?)

Unless you have asked every person in the world, you can't really say that with authority. Even so, it's irrelevant what he uses to refer to himself as long as he consistently uses the same name.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm chinese.
my mother tongue/language is cantonse which i speak at home.
everywhere else i speak english which i would call my first language.

that's the distinction we have here in uk.
ok, think about all the people you knowwho has an accent of origins outside of an english speaking country (which is what we are talking about, not regional dialects of english). how many people do you know born in an english speaking country where they are educated in english have an accent of their native country? it's all just wrong. i know i can't make you understand what i mean.

it's just that i know a lot of chinese, thai, vietnamese, malay people and well, none of them born here have any accent and they CAN speak both languages.

as for the last bit about this not being real life.
well, i guess you're right. maybe i should just accept that a lot of people will pretend on the internet. it still bugs me when they do in a place liek this. i guess i kinda see it as being disrespectful to the board and hence to martial arts (this thing that we are all passionate about).

sorry for my rant.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i have to ask everyone in the world.
i just have to ask every chinese person whether he's thai.
or ask every thai person if he is chinese.

your argument is rather weak.
by your rational, if i consistantly call you a pillock, then you are a pillock? probably a bad example but i think you get my meaning.

like i say, the term is used to denote a nation. if he is indeed of thai origin, then he would not call himself chinese. besides, since when was a thai accent a chinese accent? they are two different languages and hence two different accents.

the only reasons i can think of for this inconsistency is that either he is lying or he is incredibly stupid...

so which could it be?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: