Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedDragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb wrote:
I would suggest you look at your sparring and forms and see if you are really as good as you think you are....

First and for-most, RB, don't be a * .

Second, you obviously don't go to tournaments to compete, because it is blatently obvious in every tournament that someone ends up being unfairly judged. Like in all other sports, there is a great deal of politics, and this leads to inconsistant judging. At one point or another, everyone who has competed has been unfairly judged.... so don't be a dumbass, and let Kungfumaster vent!

Traditional Japanese Goju Ryu Karate
Mike Lasci's Northern Martial Arts Centre
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: missed judge Reply with quote

Kung fu master : I know the felling of being mist judge, in a tornement at the end of last year in kata out of 10 competitors I was the only one that came out with 8.0 as score the other score were 7.9 and 7.8to gave me the total of 23.7 me and my wife we always marked down my score and the other too just to make sure everything is ok,so at the end of the last kata my wife told me I was in first place and the closes one had 23.4,so we line up for the medals ceremonie the judge called my name as fourth place winner,I knew something was wrong so I ask the judge to see the score sheet he let me had a look at it so I took my score back to my wife and asked her to compare with our score sheet after my first fight I went back to the score table cause I was convience that I had win so I ask the girl at the table to do a recount and she told me that the score sheet was gone and did not know where it was.at the end the 3 first place in the tournement were 3 students of the central judge

sano
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: shidokan karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is a little of of subject but somebody tell me this. when i was at a full contact tournament punches to the face was not allowed. so my opponent punch me dead on the jaw. the judges did not do nothing. so i punch him back in the face and they minus one point from my score and told me i was out of there if i did that again. now thats unfair and why did they let that guy get away with that.

The Saint
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do ITF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to a lot of people, when you attend open tournaments, your stuck playing by their rules. Judges at these competetions should look at a form with an open mind. Sometimes it doesn't happen and you get srewed over. If your entire club was getting screwed over than it's probably not worth attending the competetion the next year. However, If it was just one judge than it is worth mentioning it to the co-ordinator of the tournament. But just to let you know that this happens on a regular basis in all sports. It sucks........ Train harder and win the next time

kregh99
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got horribly misjudged at a tournament -_-

Get used to it. That's what open tournaments have degenerated to over the years.

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the point sparring is hard to say...I've judged a few tournaments, and sometimes you miss things. As for the kata...apparantly your judge was a bit misinformed about what kind of tournament it was...sad state of affairs indeed. Ah well, don't get discouraged, its happened to everyone
"There is no spoon."

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth here as a judge and referree at open tournaments since 1980.

First of all..you need to recognise that judges are human. WHAT?? Yes..they're human, and they make mistakes and have their own ways of looking at things.

Secondly, you need to change your attitude about tournaments. You need to realize that they are flawed and it's not a perfect world out there. Try approaching a tournament with the attitude that you are going to do the best that you can do, whether it be kata, sparring, or whatever. Don't go in with a "I want to win" attitude. Sure, you enter and HOPE to win..that's fine. But look at it differently, and change that "I want to win" instead to "I'm going to give my best."

I can't speak for the particular tournament where you feel you were screwed, as I wasn't there. I've seen some really terrible judges that don't have a clue as to what they are watching, and score people quite high for non-martial arts techniques (like backflips and splits), and score others low for doing a traditional, non-flashy technique. But I would say that the majority of the judges, the majority of the time..do a pretty good job.

At the open tournaments I judge/referree at, we have a judges meeting an hour before the tournament starts. We go over the rules we will abide by, and the criteria we will follow when judging kata. The tournament promotor has all control over this usually, and it is his/her responsability to make sure these rules and guidelines are followed. Although, I've seen a number of judges that just wander off and do their own thing, and I've never hesitated to report them IMMEDIATELY to the promotor.

My students don't do a lot of tournaments, as we consider them nothing more than "playtime". We look at them as a social experience, not an indication of skill. I'd suggest to everybody to do the same. Don't take them to seriously. Realize that they aren't perfect, and the best person doesn't always win.

I've only competed in one tournament myself. I repeatedly scored ponts on my opponents using what we call "change of body" techniques, and my opponents knew it because they would stop fighting and back up after each "score". Yet all of the 5 judges just stood there and said "keep fighting", because they didn't see it. Yes, it was frustrating, especially when my opponent knew very well that I had him..but the judges didn't catch it.

Oh well...I won anyway, just had to change my tactics.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: missed judge Reply with quote

kataman wrote:
Kung fu master : I know the felling of being mist judge, in a tornement at the end of last year in kata out of 10 competitors I was the only one that came out with 8.0 as score the other score were 7.9 and 7.8to gave me the total of 23.7 me and my wife we always marked down my score and the other too just to make sure everything is ok,so at the end of the last kata my wife told me I was in first place and the closes one had 23.4,so we line up for the medals ceremonie the judge called my name as fourth place winner,I knew something was wrong so I ask the judge to see the score sheet he let me had a look at it so I took my score back to my wife and asked her to compare with our score sheet after my first fight I went back to the score table cause I was convience that I had win so I ask the girl at the table to do a recount and she told me that the score sheet was gone and did not know where it was.at the end the 3 first place in the tournement were 3 students of the central judge

I've seen this happen a few times myself. What can I say? Most black belt tests (with a few notable exceptions) don't judge your intelligence, just your techniques. Very few blackbelts are mathematical geniuses, so you kind of take what you can get at tournaments. Maybe (and I say this with all sincerity) we should start giving judges arithmetic quizzes before they're allowed to judge! Even considering that they get calculators, I've seen a judge or two that can still manage to get it wrong.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: