Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not as bad as it sounds, most of the time. I can still do everything I could before, and more.

Problems arise if I accidentally kick at at bad angle, that would be OK for most people but not me because my toes don't work right.

I don't necessarily want to quit kicking entirely. I enjoy it. But I do want to move more emphasis to hands.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
There is literally cartilage failing to buffer the joints in your foot.

It's a bit worse than that in my case unfortunately, as if worn cartilage is not bad enough.

I had an accident and few years ago. Unfortunately the x ray technician failed to spot the damage. The conclusion in a very busy A and E department was that nothing was broken, just badly bruised, and a few weeks of rest to light activity would fix it. It was about 2 years later when the problems persisted that an MRI and further xray analysis revealed that in fact the two joint surfaces had actually caved in. Fragments of broken bone from the smashed joint surfaces had moved and reset in the wrong position. If we'd realised this at the time, there's a chance that key hole surgery could have saved the joint. As it's all now well and truly set in the wrong place, it's a case of management until it either fuses or possibly a joint replacement.

As grim as all that sounds though, in about 50% of similar cases, joint degradation stops, and it gets no worse for years.

Wow! Yup. I'd defiantly move to an art with less trauma on the feet.

Does kicking bother your feet, or just being on your feet in general?

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
tallgeese wrote:

It's a bit worse than that in my case unfortunately, as if worn cartilage is not bad enough.

I had an accident and few years ago. Unfortunately the x ray technician failed to spot the damage. The conclusion in a very busy A and E department was that nothing was broken, just badly bruised, and a few weeks of rest to light activity would fix it. It was about 2 years later when the problems persisted that an MRI and further xray analysis revealed that in fact the two joint surfaces had actually caved in. Fragments of broken bone from the smashed joint surfaces had moved and reset in the wrong position. If we'd realised this at the time, there's a chance that key hole surgery could have saved the joint. As it's all now well and truly set in the wrong place, it's a case of management until it either fuses or possibly a joint replacement.

As grim as all that sounds though, in about 50% of similar cases, joint degradation stops, and it gets no worse for years.

It varies. Most days, if I behave myself within my ability, then I'm fine on my feet. I'm also fine kicking most days. But I have to be a bit careful with the type of kick. Kicking to strike with the ball of the foot is a bad idea for me. To be honest I think ball of the foot strikes are a bad idea for anybody. It's basically arthritis waiting to happen. But many people get away with it. Not me.

I can still do all the kicks in our arsenal, but I have to be very selective and when and how to use each. I'd never present a front kick as anything more than a distraction for example, because if I deliver it with power, it's going to potentially leaving me limping for a couple of weeks.

The bizarre bouncing footwork characteristics of the likes of taekwondo and some styles of karate is out of the question for me. I can do the kangaroo bounce, but if I were to do it for more than a few bounces I'd be limping for a week.

So in short, I can still do everything, but whereas many can do everything without thinking too much about it, I have to constantly think about the price I'll pay in terms of foot pain over the next week or more.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of choices out there, there is absolutely no reason to be a barefoot, bouncy, or jumping fighter unless it works for you.

If you still wanted to do 'karate" but take out the jumps and high kicks....Shotokan or numerous other styles.

Want to wear shoes? Combatives, JKD, Krav Maga.

Just want hands? Boxing is very popular these days. And you wear shoes.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
tallgeese wrote:

It varies. Most days, if I behave myself within my ability, then I'm fine on my feet. I'm also fine kicking most days. But I have to be a bit careful with the type of kick. Kicking to strike with the ball of the foot is a bad idea for me. To be honest I think ball of the foot strikes are a bad idea for anybody. It's basically arthritis waiting to happen. But many people get away with it. Not me.

I can still do all the kicks in our arsenal, but I have to be very selective and when and how to use each. I'd never present a front kick as anything more than a distraction for example, because if I deliver it with power, it's going to potentially leaving me limping for a couple of weeks.

The bizarre bouncing footwork characteristics of the likes of taekwondo and some styles of karate is out of the question for me. I can do the kangaroo bounce, but if I were to do it for more than a few bounces I'd be limping for a week.

So in short, I can still do everything, but whereas many can do everything without thinking too much about it, I have to constantly think about the price I'll pay in terms of foot pain over the next week or more.

I'm sorry to hear this. Its got to be rough, training with that kind of pain. It sounds like you are very aware of it, though, and do a good job of training around it.

I think, for the most part, you don't have to worry about bouncing around a lot necessarily to be successful in TKD. I used to bounce a lot more, but now I don't. What I work on being better at now is using short, sharp footwork steps to get to the positions I need to attack or counter or avoid an attack. I think of the movements as more like Tai Sabaki, like in Aikido or some Karate.

From what I've seen you write here, you've adapted your training to suit your body's needs. I don't think that will change no matter where you go train (accept maybe for BJJ; that might be a good option).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: