Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Immature Strategy Reply with quote

"Immature Strategy"

Immature strategy is the cause of grief- Miyamoto Musashi.

What was Miyamoto implying with this statement?

Is this true of martial arts and artists of today, having an immature strategy?

Is fighting strategy something that has been pushed into the background, where profit margins is now at the forefront and colorfully woven garments have replaced battle armour?

Are our fighting stratergies in MA become more immature compared to the past?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every strategy is immature at its birth!! Strategy has to be nurtured and cultivated over time before it can mature!!

Quote:
What was Miyamoto implying with this statement?

Any strategy that is immature, and not improved upon, is worthy to grieve over. Who can find joy in that??

Quote:

Yes, if that MAist accepts and continues in being a proponent of a immature strategy. However, that's for the individual, and isn't directed towards the general masses of MAists at all.

Quote:
Is fighting strategy something that has been pushed into the background, where profit margins is now at the forefront and colorfully woven garments have replaced battle armour?

No!! Who wears battle armor nowadays as far as MAists are concerned?!? I might be misunderstanding the question.

Quote:

Isn't that more of a question for the individual to answer, and not a general question for the masses?!? I personally believe that my fighting strategies are mature because I fight how I train: WITH A RESOLVE!!

When that opponent stands before me, and only then, will I be able to determine for myself if my opponents fighting strategies are mature or not, and not until then!! I can't afford to assume a posture other than that, however, I will be ready to expect the unexpected.

Imho!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Immature Strategy Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Yes and no. Depends on what you are implying by strategy. If it's in terms of fighting. Then yes in many cases. The sports aspect of 90% of modern day art is IMHO not conducive to teaching students how to actually handle themselves in a real fight. However not ALL arts or ALL practitioners fit into a little bubble nor do they all follow the crowd like sheaple.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

See the last statement. Yes and No.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

In many cases yes, IMHO. The arts in many cases have gravitated away from teaching students how to fight and instead concentrate on how to win patty cakes at tournaments. The mighty dollar has injected programs and extra curricular practices that have absolutely nothing to do with actual fighting.

But then again I am a dinosaur that feels that the arts should be taught as they were in the past rather than they are now. So take what you will from that.

You can either fight or you can't. If the art that you are taking does not teach you how to handle yourself why then call it a martial art. Just call it an art because you have removed the martial from it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition is a great thing, because it offers many students a way to push themselves further and further. But, I agree that it should not be at the cost of everything else the art has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: