Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: In That Moment!! Reply with quote

No matter what that moment is, and with no excuses whatsoever, be in that moment unapologetically.

Being with your kids...be in that moment!!
Being with your wife/husband...be in that moment!!
Being with your relative...be in that moment!!
Being at a meeting wherever it might be...be in that moment!!
Being at work...be in that moment!!
Being at play...be in that moment!!
Being at the dojo/dojang/etc...be in that moment!!
Being at your MA training...be in that moment!!
Being at the gym...be in that moment!!
Being at a Testing Cycle...be in that moment!!

Those moments deserve that from whomever, and at 100% at all times, and not with a lackadaisical effort, and not as a passing notion that'll pass unnoticeable.

Having personal concerns, leave them outside!! Is that easy?? The short answer...no...that's not that easy at the drop of a hat for everyone. If that which is occupying your mind right now can't be left outside...then stay at home; separate that which is bothering from that which your about to attempt.

If one can't be in that moment, then that moment is being disrespected across the board. If one can't be in that moment for 100%, when it'll matter the most, the there'll be no happy ending whatsoever.

If you're the student, then be in that moment!!
If you're the instructor, then be in that moment!!
If you're the owner of the MA school, then be in that moment!!

One can't serve two masters at the same time; decide!!

What good does it do for you to try to be in two places at the very same time; that can't be done, it's impossible. Wherever your body is, so must your mind be; focus properly, and not in a happenstance mindset; anything and everything will suffer whenever respect is not given its proper attention at all time. You can't disguise it and/or hide it and/or pretend at it and/or whatever because either you're in the moment or you're not!!

Be in THAT moment!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back during a long drive, my mother asked me a simple question: “Why do you like karate so much?” It was a very simple answer:

“When I’m at karate, I don’t have time to think about anything else. I don’t have time to think about your kidney transplant when someone’s about to kick me in the head. I don’t have time to think about my wife nagging me about anything when someone’s about to punch me in the stomach. My kids aren’t acting up, my boss isn’t telling me something stupid that needs to be done. Once I’m there and doing my thing, the rest of the world ceases to exist for an hour and a half. Nothing else I’ve ever done has ever come close to that.”

She finally got it.

That’s the very definition of “being in the moment” IMO.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mindfulness, and it is the best way to live life to the fullest.

There is nothing wrong with thinking about the future, but that should be reserved for times when that is all you are doing...thinking.

In life activities, from anything as mundane as sweeping the floor to as complicated as a complex problem at work to as emotional as spending time with your loved ones, live in the moment and you will enjoy life more.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good words, Bob. Focus on the task at hand, whatever that may be at the time. It's the best thing you can do at that moment. Then, on to the next moment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: