Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have patience, no one gets a technique perfect the first time, as everyone has said, that comes from much practice and repetition. so just have patience, there will be time to practice in the dojo and most techniques will be brought up again and again. at first it can seem overwhelming but after a while you will see a pattern emerge,(kinda like a you learn just so much with each belt, type pattern)
you will learn it, but not in one class, thats why it can take 3-5 years just to reach black belt, and then you realize theres still a lot more learning ahead of you.

Smith & Wesson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thamks Crash.

I'm in Ga. also.Kennesaw.

What part of town you in ???

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennesaw, cool. I'm 20 miles or so south of atlanta.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do that all the time isn't good. The first class after testing is used to learn new techniques. We're not trying to master them all in one day, but simply to get the students famliar with them. That way when we do them the next time, the students can be like "ohhh yeah I remember doing that". It helps to take the shock of newness away. Sort of like swimming in cold water...you dunk your whole body in to get used to it, and THEN you start doing laps. (what can I say? I have swimming on the brain...my lifeguard swim test is tonight)
Anyway, here's how it basically works in my dojo:
Say we have a bunch of new green belts that just tested last week. Green belts have 7 new techniques to learn by the next month. In the first class after testing, we'll do all 7 techniques a few times with a quick explanation of the movements. We just get them to do the motions. The next class, we will do only 2 or 3 of those moves, with an in-depth breakdown of the technique, purpose, and how to make it look good. They still won't absorb all of this, most likely. However, they get much more time to work on it, and have a lot to think about. The classes in the following weeks will be used to check the student's individual technique, correct and improve, etc. They usually get to where they do the techniques well, in plenty of time for testing. They have the rest of their MA careers to perfect those techniques through repetition.
That's how we usually teach techniques, whatever the techniques may be. However, doing every night like the first night after testing (doing all 7 techniques briefly) isn't quite as effective.

Keep in mind the most frustrating part of teaching: Class time. It's hard to fit in a lot of techniques into a short class time...my dojo's classes are only 45 minutes long. Compare that to my choir practices which are 2 hours long, usually run longer, and we still have more to do! No matter how long classes are, the time will be filled to the point of where you wish you had more.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes a long time to learn a technique just right. if you practice every so often many different moves you will pretty much know them in general to practice them on your own. if you have a question about a certain move, you should feel free to talk to the unstructor after class and they should explain it to you. g/l.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, it takes quite a while to get really good at a new technique, and it doesn't usually happen in one day. What I've seen is that when a new technique is shown, an instructor will generally demonstrate, have everyone try it a few times, correcting the most obvious, glaring errors at first, and then as the student gets more familiar with the move, fine tuning the corrections as the student works towards perfecting the move. This often happens over several classes.

It may be that you've "mastered" the technique enough for that day, and more corrections will be coming. Another thing that is possible is that the move isn't really intended for your belt level and the instructor is just letting you do it anyway, instead of giving you a technique at your own level.
If you are comfortable with your instructor, you might politely ask them (probably before or after class) why they sometimes move on to the next move so quickly, or mention that you are having trouble keeping up when you are learning new techniques and see if their response satisfies you.

-Lao-Tse

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when I'm sleepkataing and reverse punch my dresser mirror, how annoying!!!!

Hey Smith, my suggestion to you is to find another instructor. However an instructor explained it to me like this when I had a problem similar to yours. He said: "During class I teach, and the students learn, practice time is at home or after class. Why should I ask my students to rent floor space from me to practice when they can find that on their own. They come to me to learn, and I would be cheating them by filling the class with repitition." I was able to study under this instructor for several months and he wasn't lying, the big advantage to this style of teaching is that I learned to pay close attention and practice as soon as I got home from class. Hope this puts a different light on your situation.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If karate is not high enough on your list of priorities to make enough time to practice at home then you may as well quit. The dojo isn't a store where you go and purchase a technique, go home and put it on a shelf and then use it as you need it. It takes many thousands of repetitions to get a technique right. Multiply that by the number of techniques in your style and you'll see that there's no way that the instructor can teach you the way you want to be taught.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: