Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Smith & Wesson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Instructors !!!! I got a quarstion Reply with quote

How come a technique is shown.........tried by the class & before anyone does it well you move onto another ????

Why not just work on one techinque till it's right ????

I find it frustrating to be gettin the hang of something & have to move on.

I'm not talkin about one person or two but the whole class.

What's the point in being shown 6 techinques & not learning one ????

Last edited by Smith & Wesson on Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

shortstick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo, Tae Kwon Do, Sarrada Eskrima

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: too many techs Reply with quote

Good question, there can be several answers. #1 It could be the instructor is trying to show you there is much good stuff to learn.
#2 maybe he just wants to show off, does he do that all the time?
#3Was it a mixed class of ranks? Other people in the class may have taken in more than you.
#4 Your instructor may be helping you learn to focus. As time goes on in you training, you will be able to focus your mind better on the task at hand. Many of us think we are paying attention, when we really are not.
I have had instructors in the past that did all thease things, one time or another. Some clearly did not want to teach us anything, but just wanted to show what they knew....that was frustrating!
At any rate, you should not feel weird about asking to see the tech again, or getting help after the class. You are there to learn, and they should help you.

TKDLadyInSC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #3 shortstick. I remember as a white belt and yellow belt it would take me about a week (forever to an impatient white belt ) to learn a new form. Now I can learn a black belt form in a day. It may not look like Jet Li, but I will know all the moves. Then I get to spend the rest of my life polishing it.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just differant methods of teaching.

We usually try and cover a dozen or 2 dozen basic moves each class. Punches, blocks and kicks. These are done every class. Now in each class I may choose to add a new one or focus more on one of those we do everyday.

However I have trained and taught classes where we just do say rising block reverse punch all class.

In the fast paced world we live most people get bored and want to see more moves and keep things changed up. So my guess would be your teacher is trying to make class a bit more exciting. Because everyone knows training does get hard and tiresome.

Now on that same note we only do things like kata one at a time and don't move on to you figure that one out and test on it. Same is true for self defense and other things that are more complex.

You may want to talk to him about chainging up his teaching style because you learn best at differnat rates.

SandanPJ
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo and Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't expect to getting anyone tech down good in one class, especially begginers and children. Classtime is to open the doors for a tech and to review old ones, but practice and perfection comes with the many hours on your own.

Smith & Wesson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the replies fellas.

Didn't really get an answer though.

Guess the one's that do this didn't want to defend it.

Here's why I need to get it right in the dojo.........

1 My gutters need to be cleaned.

2 My grass need to be cut.

3 The wife aint a willin training partner & the boy is only 17 months old.

4 The dog needs activity.

5 I have to produce to get paid.

6 The handicap aint gonna get lower on it's own.

ETC.......The list is endless.

So if your lurkin & read this.........Relize some of us go to the dojo to train !!!!

Key word....TRAIN.........Not to see sumthin & move on to somethin else you aint gonna ingrain either.

BTW knock off the goofy explainations to hear your self talk.I'd rather be working on what I was just shown

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no defense needed. Each technique requires thousands upon thousands of repetitions to just know it. If you had it your way you would only be shown one technique in your whole life and you'd do it over and over and over because you'll never perfect it and there will be no reason to teach you another. We are not there to watch you practice we are there to teach you new techniques and critique old ones. It's your job as a student to go home and practice. The key is self-discipline and respect for your art and your instructors. Insulting them is not the way to become a martial artist.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point Heidi. S&W, I believe Shortstick answered your question well enough. The idea is to train and learn as you've indicated. But in order to do both, you must carry that same attitude outside of the dojo. So, if you are working a technique and beginning to get a hang of it, don't abandon it, or get frustrated just because your shown a new one. Ask a classmate to work with you so that you both benefit from each others knowledge. Continue working the technique in your mind, or do the movements in the air, as if you are shawdow boxing.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All day long I do kata in my head...geez!! Sometimes I can't even sleep because I'm never satisfied and I keep doing it over and over and over and over......

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us who believe in doing kata wake up in the middle of the night on a fairly regular basis practicing our forms in our sleep.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: