Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

June1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sensei becomes annoyed when people ask him when they're getting their next stripe! I can only imagine what he would think if a brown belt were to ask him about bb testing...

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is, if you are paying for something then you are completely in the right to ask about it. I would not go into when you will test but I would sure ask what is the process and how will you be made aware of it and what the financial cost if any there are.

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the kids ask me when they will test I really don't mind. Although I usually give some really obscure answer like; "When you are ready!".

If you are open and honest there should be no problems with any sorts of questions - and I think it is nice to know what sort of goals one should be looking towards.

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

daeinwolf
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fighting(MMA)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really do not put much stock in belts, I am with krzychicano. If you arepaying for the teaching, you should at least understand how the advancement process occurs.

SiK---Joshua

Grenadier
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others here.

It's perfectly OK to ask about what you'll be tested on, and what they expect to see. Any of the instructors should be more than willing to answer your questions, or at least point you to the right resources.

It's usually not a good idea, though, to ask if / when you'll be testing, unless there are special circumstances.

Some situations where you it's OK to ask, would be if your school holds exams on a regular basis, and it's up to the student to sign up for it, and you want to ask the instructor if you're ready. Otherwise, if your school is the type where the instructors tell you when you're ready to test, it's usually best not to ask about the if / when part.

seersin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your paying you hard earned money,I don't see tha problem in asking.

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see any problem with asking when you will be grading. I have asked before what kind of time scale I am looking at with regards garding, and was given an honest, friendly and polite answer. I think we must just run a very open dojo. If we have nothing to hide there should be no problems.

Some people we may not know how long until they grade because they have got themselves stuck within a belt (i.e. stuck at green belt for a year), but we say to them that they could grade within the next couple of gradings, if they just start to try, so the ball is in their court. There are no secrets, and I would like to think that everyone can talk openly to the senseis. I think we have a really friendly atmosphere in our dojo.

Angela

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Guy_Who_Fights
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to know what the testing at your school is like, I suggest (VERY politely) asking if you can quietly sit in on the next testing, just off in a corner or even watch from the "lounge" area by the dojo entrance. Some sensei are against this, but a lot believe that this will encourage or even inspire a new student. I was able to sit in on a few testings, and even did so when I was more advanced but not attending that particular testing. People learned that I liked to watch and study them and I consequently got invited to sit in on a few black belts tests. At one of the tests they were even short one person for a partner drill, so I was asked to participate for a short while. When my partner (partner A) wasn't the one attacking, they told me to go ahead and do the defenses and whatnot just like all of the other partner * were doing.

Not many people get to participate in a black belt test before they are actually testing for the belt, but it never would have happened if I hadn't expressed interest way back when. I guess the point is be as polite as possible, and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my dojo, I'll give the usual vague answer regarding the grading structure to kids. To the adults it's simple. I tell them when they are ready. Some times that is in the form of a question.. i.e. do you feel ready to go for your next grade.. if they are not sure they don't grade.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a beginner/inter. student, I did ask "when." The senior instructor doesn't have a problem telling you. Now that I'm in the Master instructor's class (advanced class) I NEVER ask. But last night he did tell us.

But as a new student asking about the "testing structure," not "when," I don't see a problem with it.

Our school allows anyone to watch a test. The advanced students are required to show up (if they are not testing) to help out anyways. I was asked to partner up with someone that was testing a few times already. I just went through the motions so they could do their stuff, then I ran off to the side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: