Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think key to this is the way that the question is asked. I don't have a problem with people asking about the syllabus or such like, it's a way of them working up to a conversation regarding the grading itself!

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are paying to take lessons. You have every right to ask the owner, head instructor or whomever works there about anything that goes on in the school. If they give you some mystical mumbo jumbo you are in the wrong school.

Let us know what they say.

Sandan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Kobujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think key to this is the way that the question is asked. I don't have a problem with people asking about the syllabus or such like, it's a way of them working up to a conversation regarding the grading itself!

I lived and trained in Japan and you would NEVER have this attitude. Here it seems to be acceptable.. I've discouraged this in my dojo and it works.

Venrix
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Kyokushin Budo Kai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelaG wrote:
I really can't see any problem with asking when you will be grading. I have asked before what kind of time scale I am looking at with regards garding, and was given an honest, friendly and polite answer.... ....If we have nothing to hide there should be no problems.

Seems like the perfect response to me.

There is a big difference between asking:

"What's the general policy regarding gradings? How long does one typically train between gradings? How does the grading/rank/belt/colour system work? How long will it take to become a black belt?" (These are questions of policy).

AND

"When will I get my next grading? I've been a blue belt for three and half days, when will I get my next lovely stripe?" (These questions born of impatience and/or disrespect).

When one begins a new style, one has many questions. The vast majority of beginners arrive at the Dojo on Day 1 because they 'want to be a black belt'. Of course, with time - they will come to learn that this is by no means the target of a Martial Artist. However, it's to be 100% expected that the question will be asked.

Also, the grading system was created to offer a 'point of reference'. That is, a guide to the persons current level of ability/knowledge, 'next step' for students to focus upon and/or an 'award of recognition' for the training that a student has put in.

A grading is an examination. Would we expect to be told at Univeristy: "I want you to study for a Ph.D. in Astrophysics. There will be an exam. But, I'm not telling you anything about the contents of the the exam nor will I tell you when the exam will be held."

Knowing 'when' is often an essential element of focus. Understanding a process is an essential element toward following that process.

Of course, I am not making a case for or against the grading system. I'm simply pointing out that: "Once a grading system is utilised in a Dojo, it WILL become the focal point of many students, particularly beginners."

Any trainer in a respectable Dojo will know this and would have no problem answering ANY kind of question. No matter how 'dumb' or 'disrespectful' it may sound. A question is only disrepectful when it is asked with disrespect.

Go ahead and ask. If your instructor doesn't give you a concise answer, avoids the question or treats you with contempt for asking... ...find another instructor!

Respect works both ways. One should show respect for ones teachers. A teacher should always show respect for one's students.

-V-

www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)
Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: