Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thwack
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while i've had an increasing urge to start some kind of martial arts. I've been advised by a number of people either Kickboxing or Thia boxing is for me.

Initially I wanted to build up myself as i'm a very big build and wanted to make good use of it. However i'm slow and not flexible at the mo, with low endurance.

I liked the description of kickboxing: I was its the kind of MA that makes u hard as nailz and makes you very hard. However I don't like the idea of kicking with shins.

The main reason I want to do a martial art is for practical street fighting, and also to build myself up to be incredibly strong and fast.

Is kickboxing right for me you think? If so which type? What is involved in each type?

Thx, (1st time poster)

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big guy and I do shotokan karate. It works well for me. I have done some kickboxing and enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I do kickboxing and I'm a right hard nut

Yes it would be excellent for you since kickboxing is all about power and strengh. The best martial self defence in a street fight is the one that you are most suited to and enjoy. There is no point in doing something like Ju Jitsu (a very famous self defence martial art) if you don;t enjoy. Hey if your a big build kickboxing will be excellent for you, but so will a lot of other martial arts such as Judo- coz you need a lot of strengh to throw the oppenant.
Make a list of all the martial arts that interest you, narrow them down and try those select few and see which one you are more suited to

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicboxing is using the punches from boxing, and some punches from karate and kicks from karate. In kickboxing you only ever touch the oppenant with your fist or foot. In Tai boxing you can use elbows and shins and I think you can even headbut people

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i'd try either
boxing
kickboxing
muay thai
and you might wan't to check out
http://www.martialresource.com

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do both kickboxing and ju jitsu and id say that kickboxing is probably a good choice for you. judo aswell would be good. but it has no punches/kicks.

Thwack
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to do Muay Thai but without the shin kicking? From descriptions i read Kickboxing sounds right, though Kickboxing with knee's and elbow's (and maybe head) sounds v practical and useful as well, however dont wana do shin kicks.

Is it possible?
Also how would I go about finding a place that does what i'm looking for. I live in Croydon, Surrey, South of London

muaythaidm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thwack why no shin kicks? Look in the phone book for MA schools. or just drive 'round and look for one.

Thwack
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because:
1) I've seen far 2 many videos on the net of people doing a shin kick and shattering their shin, so when they go back to stand on their leg it just 'flops'.
2) I've heard that the number of injuries related to shins through muay thai is a lot more then people realise or would like to believe.
3) I seem to have strange shins, they are weak or something I duno what but they seen to get hurt very easily when knocked, much more then other people's.
4) I just wouldnt feel comfortable with it

Any way to add knee / elbow to kickboxing or take shin kicks out of muay thai? Or can this just not be done?

muaythaiposer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of ways to strengthen your shins (look at other threads). don't get so scared off in terms of the shin injuries bit; anybody in anysport can injure the shin (you're from england, i'm pretty sure you've seen guys crack their shins during football games). give the MA a try, but don't exclude kicking, because i bet once you're in the dojo, you'd want to be doing everything everybody else is doing. kicking, lots of people will say, is their favorite part beacuse you can get soooo much power on it copared to punching (sounds awesome on a bag when you connect).

my advice, get a pair of MA shin guards and start from there. hurts way less on the bag with them on.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: