Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastguard wrote:
my thoughts are that teaching doesn't help you become a better fighter, but it certainly helps you become a better martial artist.

I agree. Teaching is not a grade requirement in either my Karate or Aikido clubs (in the FSK, teaching is only a grade requirement from 2nd Dan onwards), but it is encouraged, as it helps to build character, develop the new teacher's own MA skills and is a contribution to the life and development of the club.

Sheffield Steelers!

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have already pointed out, teaching really does give you a much deeper insight into your techniques and training.

When you are training, there is often a tendency to go into 'auto-pilot' mode and just do what is being asked of you without really delving into it.

Teaching allows you to explore what you want, and take it in new directions. I've had more revelations and new ideas come to me when teaching than at any other time.

Beyond that, there is a certain responsibility to perpetuate one's art to a new generation. By continuing to teach the art to new generations, we ensure its' survival. Our goal should be to make each successive generation better than we were.

In Tang Soo Do, masters wear a red line through their belt, which signifies the blood of sacrifice and reproduction.

Masters are expected to both give something back and pass on what they have learned, and I believe this a good thing.

One could write an entire essay on this topic, truthfully, but I will try to avoid that.

By fostering leadership skills through teaching, we help our students to become leaders not only in the martial arts, but in their outside lives as well.

I firmly do believe that by creating a new generation of teachers, we are helping to create a better society, at least in some small part.

Teaching requires leadership, confidence, understanding, patience, love, sacrifice, discipline, etc. It is an essential step to becoming a truly well-rounded martial artist and person.

Upasik
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wushu, Tai Chi, Chi Gung, Aki Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school its not manditory that anyone teach or help teach. But as an instructor, i've learned things i only would have learned by teaching. If have someone turn their foot, in my head i know that my foot must also always be turned for their example.

DLopez wrote:
I think it is summed up simply as: Setting the example.

I love to teach, and as an instructor you always need to have your stuff together and current.

I belive that the higher, or highest levels can only be attained teaching.

Learn by teaching

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangSooGuy wrote:
As others have already pointed out, teaching really does give you a much deeper insight into your techniques and training.

When you are training, there is often a tendency to go into 'auto-pilot' mode and just do what is being asked of you without really delving into it.

Teaching allows you to explore what you want, and take it in new directions. I've had more revelations and new ideas come to me when teaching than at any other time.

Beyond that, there is a certain responsibility to perpetuate one's art to a new generation. By continuing to teach the art to new generations, we ensure its' survival. Our goal should be to make each successive generation better than we were.

In Tang Soo Do, masters wear a red line through their belt, which signifies the blood of sacrifice and reproduction.

Masters are expected to both give something back and pass on what they have learned, and I believe this a good thing.

One could write an entire essay on this topic, truthfully, but I will try to avoid that.

By fostering leadership skills through teaching, we help our students to become leaders not only in the martial arts, but in their outside lives as well.

I firmly do believe that by creating a new generation of teachers, we are helping to create a better society, at least in some small part.

Teaching requires leadership, confidence, understanding, patience, love, sacrifice, discipline, etc. It is an essential step to becoming a truly well-rounded martial artist and person.

You took a lout of it out of my "mouth"

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TSDguy, if you have knowledege, it is your resopnsibility to share it with others.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responsibility? Perhaps not the word. But for the preservation of your school. Or to learn more details about information thaty instrcution will make a better awreness. TSDGuy said it nice.

Sunrunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as if there were some things about martial arts and about being a martial artist that I don't think I could understand until I became a teacher. One of the higher Dan's in my area put it nicely as far as what he felt was the standard for our style. "When you become a black belt, everyone calls you 'Sensei', but 'Sensei' doesn't mean 'black belt', it means 'teacher'." In my opinion, to act and call myself a "Sensei", I need to BE a "Sensei" in action as well as by wearing the belt. For me it's a very big part of the whole "walk your talk" philosophy that I try to hold myself to.

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a higher rank, demonstrates higher knowledge. Shouldt knowledge be passed. For if someone got you there had taken the same outloook, one will not have learned. In other words, someone's has to teach. Perhaps those that do not like, are actually "stage-frighten". Or lack communication skills on front of a audience? There can be many reasons why one doesnt want to teach.

gcav
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Several different Japanese and Korean styles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very good posts in this thread. Teaching helps you re-enforce the basics in your own mind. I have been teaching for 20 something years and still love doing it.

angelica d
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy teaching, so I'm probably biased, but here are my thoughts on the subject:

Teaching has given me more confidence, both in talking to a class and in demonstrating techniques. Now I'm not as nervous when doing something on my own in a class ie performing a kata. By teaching beginners you realise how much you already have learnt yourself. You see people struggling with basic moves, and remember when you were like that. This can boost your self confidence, but it also reminds you that everyone starts somewhere. You become more understanding and better at communicating instructions.

By teaching, you also realise how much you still have to learn, particularly when kids ask awkward questions (generally beginning with 'What if...'). Having students who are really determined and motivated encourages me to practice harder myself. Explaining techniques to other people consolidates my own knowledge.

Often students can give a different perspective on things, for example bunkai. Once, our senior instructor was demonstrating the first turn followed by tetsui in kibadachi in heian sandan, and an 11year old yellow belt pointed out that as well as using the knee and the fist as weapons in this move, the beginning of the tetsui could be an elbow strike. We hadn't thought of this but it made sense!

Also I agree with everyone else's views on passing on your knowledge to the next generation of beginners, and on living up to a blackbelt's title of 'sensei'. Some really interesting posts so far, I've enjoyed reading them all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: