Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sunrunner, if martial arts are to survive, those who have advanced kowledge must pass that on to others. Does this mean that you must have a thriving school, no, you just need to keep the spirit and tradition alive for others to learn and appreciate.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching is definitely important for one's growth as a martial artist. However, one must realize that even though they are a teacher, they are still students. I've learned a few things from the humble questions of a beginner simply because I've never thought of them.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching increses your learning and understanding.

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my style its required after 1st dan

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for having the upper ranks learning to instruct. You learn a lot from teaching others, its almost like learning all over again haha. Our brown belts are required to instruct a set number of classes, under the supervision of the Head Instructor as part of the minimum requirements for that belt. And then a Black Belt 1st has even more instructor development to go threw prior to reaching Black Belt 2nd that is our Full Instructor rank. But we work on installing some of these instructor skills into our students at early ranks also.

When I trained the belt above you was one of your guides and it went like this the whole way, of course under supervision of a black belt.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching essential for higher ranks? Reply with quote

Bart the Lover wrote:
Is this a requirement in your art?

It was not a 'requirement' in my class, but was an expectation of me when i reached 2nd Brown (equivelant to T-Black in TKD). In such a small class - 20-30 students - it was beneficial to the class to have an upper-belt assisting. Occasionally the Instructor would call me the night before and tell me that he wasn't going to make it and he wanted me to teach. Not because he was lazy, but in order for me to have the added responsibility. This helped me grow tremendously.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: teaching Reply with quote

Bart,

No!! It is absolutely unnecessary to teach in order to achieve a respectable level of skill w/in a given martial art. However, it is absolutely necessary to teach in order to become an expert of that same martial art.

In teaching day in and day out, you will be forced to focus on every aspect of each technique. From the smallest intracacies to the most obvious details. You will see things you naturally do correctly that others seem to have trouble with. For example: take the time in class to look at the allignment of peoples knuckle to their wrist. The proper allignment may come natural to you, but not to others. Moreover you learn a great deal about application of said technique. You'll see different techniques used at absurd times. This also needs corrected. There will be many questions you are unable to answer. You will need to seek the answer, and you will lean and grow. I think you get the idea.

If you study a Japanese system; look up "giri" and "on", this will give you another reason to teach.

Sunrunner,
If you have been taught that "Sensei" most literally means "teacher," you have been misled. This is the definition most accepted in America. In fact, "Sensei" is "one who came before, father," or "pointer of the way." Remember that most Japanese is spoken in idiom. This is the reason for the comonly misused term. In Japan, it is highly disrespectful for a person to refer to themselves as Sensei.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my system, there is a Kyoshi 7th Dan student under the 8th Dan who is the director of the system for North America. He doesn't "teach" in the sense that he has his own dojo, but it is not uncommon for him to help instruction in or outside of class. He may also just flat out teach some classes, but I am not sure either way, since I've only been to that dojo for a week. All the same, he is incredibly skilled and does deserve that rank. He also does teach during seminars and the like.

I for one like teaching. For one, it involves talking. And how I do love talking about martial arts (as people here can attest to how much I ramble). And as others mentioned, it really makes you analyze what you are doing so that you can show others.

Personally, I just love giving back in any way possible to the style that has given me so much. I also want to share the joy I've felt to others, and teaching is the best way.

But, do I feel it is absolutely necessary? No, not really.

Goju 4 Life
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shodan-Nisei Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't make it mandatory for higher ranks to teach, who will?

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: teaching Reply with quote

Goju 4,

In my school I am the instructor of our black belt students. None of the instructors are forced to teach and none of us get paid. The true teachers do not do it for glory, fame, or reward. They just do it because it feels good. These are the people who will do it when it is not required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: