Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Johnlogic121
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Montgomery Style Karate, Ninjutsu, Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Isshinryu is an awesome style! Reply with quote

Tatsuo Shimabuku developed Isshinryu back in the 1950s. He was a master of both Shorin-ryu and Gojo-ryu. Before Bruce Lee talked about abosrbing what was useful and discarding that which was worthless, Shimabuku-san striped out most of the material from his two styles of karate and created a dynamic synthesis from what was left. Isshinryu contains about 20% of the material from Shorin-ryu and Gojo-ryu. Gojo-ryu has 15 to 18 katas depending on where it is taught and Shorin-ryu has 22 to 24 katas depending on where it is taught. However, Isshinryu has only 8 katas that teach unarmed combat along with a set of basics that comprise almost as much material as a single sixty movement kata. Thus, you can progress to becoming a black belt in Isshinryu is about one half to one third of the time it takes to become a black belt in one of its parent styles. In private lessons, you can learn Isshinryu in 32 one-hour sessions. Isshinryu fights well, too. Does anybody else here have experience with Isshinryu, Gojoryu, or Shorinryu? Can anybody else add anything about Isshinryu I left out? Could some people describe their karate styles as I have done here? Just curious, thanks!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you saying that in 32 one hour sessions of Isshinryu, you can obtain black belt status?

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that. I've seen a lot more katas in Isshin-ryu than eight. They do fight well. But I have also been taking classes since December and haven't even gotten my yellow belt yet.

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats way to quick , and a complete waste of time. Everybody wants things now and they want it quickly , well with martial arts you need time to grow your skill, and if you dont like that then you shouldn't be doing martial arts.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ying&yang wrote:
Thats way to quick , and a complete waste of time. Everybody wants things now and they want it quickly , well with martial arts you need time to grow your skill, and if you dont like that then you shouldn't be doing martial arts.

I work out with people from two different Isshin Ryu schools. Both say the information given here is not accurate.

Johnlogic121, where are you getting your information?

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in his list of styles practicied.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
I doubt that. I've seen a lot more katas in Isshin-ryu than eight. They do fight well. But I have also been taking classes since December and haven't even gotten my yellow belt yet.

I was going to mention that I thought you were only doing Kuk Sool Won besides your Cannon Style, and I was wondering if the Isshinryu was a new addition for you. How do you like it so far? Does it offer more of what you have been looking for?

Just for the record, how many forms are there in the style, at least that you know of?

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
ying&yang wrote:

I work out with people from two different Isshin Ryu schools. Both say the information given here is not accurate.

Johnlogic121, where are you getting your information?

Yea thats true John it doesn't make sense.

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am not particular familiar with Isshinryu, your information given does not match up with any karate that I know of. Besides, earning a black belt means nothing. I can become a black belt in one day and say I got to black belt faster than anyone else, but that doesn't make me a good fighter. Claims of being able to reach 1st dan in such a short time smack of Mcdojo to me

~Theodore Roosevelt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
While I am not particular familiar with Isshinryu, your information given does not match up with any karate that I know of. Besides, earning a black belt means nothing. I can become a black belt in one day and say I got to black belt faster than anyone else, but that doesn't make me a good fighter. Claims of being able to reach 1st dan in such a short time smack of Mcdojo to me

I was surprised at this as well, as I have seen that most styles of Karate usually take between 4 and 5 years to attaing shodan status.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: