Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Roys15
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Jailtime for selfdefense Reply with quote

When you pass a Dan testing in my style, your name and rank and whatnot are sent to and recorded at the Head Dojo in Japan.

I told you that to ask yall this: is it true that if you do get into an altercation (even if you're defending yourself) and you injure (or, heaven forbid, kill) your assailant, that you'll get extra jail time because you're registered in the orient? Could you get time because you're involved in martial arts?

shujika
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: RyuTe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please,....this is an OLD myth, long disproven, there is no state in the union which has this in any statute.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not true. Though no matter how hard people try to put this one down, it just won't die.

Now, if things to to trial for an assault charge against you, then a smart defense lawyer will try to use your training background against you. You're likely to be painted as some sort of cross between Bruce Lee and a crazed killer out of a C grade action movie.

So, to recap. Dan grade recorded at home dojo=/= more jail time for assault or higher charges. Sneaky lawyer + your training =Him making your look like a violent, highly trained sociopath looking for an escuse.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
No, it's not true. Though no matter how hard people try to put this one down, it just won't die.

How very true Shorikid. I ran into thisone just after I got my Shodan. I had a few to askif I had to register with the local law enforcement agencies. I took the time to explain that this was an old wives tell if you will. Another took offence and fought tooth and nail saying I needed to be registered as a deadly weapon. Her brother suposedly told her that he had to register. But I blew if off also because she says her brother got a fifth degree from a dojo in Okinawa in the three years her father was stationed there in the 60's. Sometimes I'll play it upjust to see the reaction from people.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its a bunk myth. Don't believe it.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:

Now, if things to to trial for an assault charge against you, then a smart defense lawyer will try to use your training background against you. You're likely to be painted as some sort of cross between Bruce Lee and a crazed killer out of a C grade action movie.

So, to recap. Dan grade recorded at home dojo=/= more jail time for assault or higher charges. Sneaky lawyer + your training =Him making your look like a violent, highly trained sociopath looking for an escuse.

Right on the money Kid!

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra jail time is a myth.. although if a verdict is up to a jury maybe being a martial artist could be a negative?

Roys15
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Extra jail time is a myth.. although if a verdict is up to a jury maybe being a martial artist could be a negative?

That would be another serious question, would a jury treat you unfairly because you're a registered lethal weapon?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no not really.

The JKA as late as the mid 1980's made all its black belts get fingerprinted and take a passport photo ID card.

However, its only a few and less true today than it was years ago.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roys15

Its a crazy world espcially in the US when it comes to how a court will rule.

I have a friend who is a BJJ and MT guy. About 10 years ago some people came to his business a local go kart track and were causeing troulbe. He asked them to leave but a fight broke out. He beat all 3 of them up. One had broken Jaw the other a broken collar bone the thrid had a busted nose. My friend only had a few marks.

However the judge rulled because it was his place of business he should have showed restraint and he had to do 6 months in the county jail.

Not a very fair ruling IMO but none the less.

However, his MA training had no impact on the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: