Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tom-shea
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Kaizen - Daily Improvement Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Kaizen is a Japanese word that is simply translated as improvement. However, like many Japanese terms, the word encompasses far more than its literal English translation. It means more than simple improvement and instead suggests continuous, gradual, orderly and never ending improvement, as well as the willingness to pursue incremental improvement a small step at a time. The concept of kaizen in Karate training means that your techniques must be a little bit better than they were yesterday.

A ski instructor once provided me with an important example of kaizen. Despite living in New England all of my life, I never attained any skill at skiing. Finally, during a winter vacation, I enrolled in a week long ski program at a local ski resort. We would ski in a group lesson in the morning, then have free skiing time in the afternoon. One evening, after the third day of lessons, I ran into my ski instructor in the pub. He greeted me enthusiastically and asked how my free skiing went that day. I told him that I thought I did great... he asked how many times I fell. I proudly replied, "None!" He shouted as if perplexed, "None?!?!?!?," and shook his head sadly. When he saw the confused look on my face, he continued, "I thought you would try harder than that," then patted me on the shoulder and walked away. He later explained that he wanted his students to push themselves at least a little beyond their abilities and if I had done that, I would have fallen down at least a few times. Since then, whenever a student falls down in my class while we are practicing spinning kicks or flying kicks, I congratulate them for pushing a little beyond and tell them the above story about my ski instructor.

I consider that kaizen is a perfect approach to Karate training for two reasons. The first is obvious: each time I enter the dojo I try to make everything I do be just a little bit better than the day before. The additional hidden meaning that I find in the concept of kaizen in training is not to become impatient, push too hard and frustrate myself. Rather, I strive to maintain incremental, but constant improvements. Life is busy and complex... I feel that it is important to have patience with yourself and incorporate your training into a pattern that you can maintain. In the end you will progress further. I used to run one mile a day, every day, on the grounds of the university where I worked. It took less than 15 minutes to change into my running clothes, complete the mile and change back into my regular clothes and didn't leave me overly winded, so I could integrate it into a daily routine. After a while, I increased my run to 3 miles. Unfortunately, this became too much of a challenge ... a burden, actually ... for an everyday approach and, not wanting to step back down to only one mile (which psychologically felt like quitting), I actually ended up skipping more and more days of running, always under the guise of being too busy and promising to get to it tomorrow, sometimes justified, sometimes not. As a more extreme example, I've seen many students and many of my peers over the years, dive head first into karate, training every night, staying after class and doing extra. What typically happens is that these people burn out after a relatively short time and never train in karate again. While it is certainly true that I had my lazy periods and could have devoted more time to training here and there, I'm still at it decades after I started and I am convinced that this is because of maintaining an overall approach of small, but consistent, advances. Kaizen.

The same approach is what can help anyone maximize their abilities at daily tasks, including school, studying a musical instrument, painting, etc. It can also help one overcome major but temporary tasks like writing a term paper, a thesis, or remodeling a house, etc.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article! With your permission, I'd like to distribute it to my class--with full credit to you.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great! Thanks for the article.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good story and will definitely help anyone training in martial arts. Thanks for sharing
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is "kaizen" that I try to instill in my students everyday in the hopes that one day they will embrace it on their own. Thanks for the article!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must work for Toyota. They are big on the Kaizen concept...

- Killer -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Scotty
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: HSD Karate, Kickboxing, boxing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know the word kaizen from my business studies in school. Never really thought about its MA application. Nice story!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice article; I like the approach.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the wonderful article!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: