Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is they way we do. We act like we are stepping on a box and do a front jump kick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

janesa
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECTION.
janesa

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai - " Actually after over 20 years of multiple sclerosis; 14 of which were lived in a wheel chair kicking while standing is more of an accomplishment than any medical professional ever thought I would do. My ability to walk period is amazing them."

Wow... Am I to assume the wheelchair was the first 14 years, and you've been walking around for 6 years now? That's pretty impressive for a disease we've always been told is both incurable and degenerative.

Do you think it is your karate practise which has caused this improvement? How long have you been doing it? (Six years?)

I feel that many people "give up" when they get diagnosed with some "official" disease by a medical professional. Sort of a self-hypnosis - "Oh well, I have MS (or whatever) I've never walk again, it's official so I might as well not even try..."

Perhaps the answer for many disabilities is not the wheelchair, but simply to try a bit harder to walk. Seems to be the number one factor in every "miraculous" recovery from disease or crippling injury I've heard.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive indeed - may your remissions last until a cure is found.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taikudo-ka looking at a calender the other day I realized it has now been 25 years. In the early days we were told "don't get tired, don't get hot, don't do this, don't do that".

There are a lot of ups and downs. And it seems I had an unusual course of the disease in the extremely rapid rate of progression in the first 3 years. There are a few of us who managed to stay uninstitutionalized. And found to our amazement as we hit middle age we are improving with effort.

I do very much credit my martial arts trai aning with much of my gain in physical ability. All those trips back and forth across the floor in zenkutsu dachi were a wonderfull physical therapy. The longer wider step was so much easier to stay balanaced in. And the stance made my legs work hard and pick up strength.

My journey through the kyu grades was really a journey of discovery and accomplishment. I did much of my training on scholarship. I was a sort of experiment for my sensei's.

Now I find that I am thouroughly addicted to the martial arts. And I would give them up for nothing.

As for doing things when - an important thing to learn is how to listen to what your body is telling you. I was taught visualization and meditation techniques in pain management. Later I learned how to use those techniques to listen to my inner physical body. There are days when physical activity would be extremely detrimental and days when gains are easy to make.

Everyone has a different course.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: