Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Karate Combat: How do they make money? Reply with quote

How does the Karate Combat promotion generate income? They don't have much of a life audience, so I guess ticket sales can't be a big factor. All their fights are watchable on YouTube for free, so it is not via any pay-per-view contracts or the like. Of course, YouTube vdeos with a large viewership can generate some income through commercials, but from what I gather from various influencers, it is not really that much.

The Karate Combat events are very well produced. I do not know how much the fighters earn, but it must be at least enough to cover their costs of flying half way around the world for some of them. This year's season is a bit fuzzy on where the event was actually held, probably due to COVID-19, but in the past they rented amazing venues in different countries for it. And Bas Rutten and Marshawn Lynch won't work for free either. There is definitely a lot of money in this. Where does it come from?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess, I'd say probably through team sponsorships and possibly through commercial sponsorships the company gets for hosting the events. But that's just a guess. They could have a rich benefactor or team of benefactors that support and likely practice Martial Arts, as well.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The men behind it are investors which is where the initial money injection came from.

Youtube money is part of the income generated, but it probably not their main income earner, no. Youtube has put money into the pot as a company though, using Karate Combat as a platform to sell Cobra Kai when that was still an original show on their platform. Somewhat of a Give and Take though.

There about page also mentions a lot of the names that have been attached to Karate Combat at one time or another: https://www.karate.com/about

As Bushido Man mentioned: commercial and team sponsorship is likely how they have brought in the majority of the money through their initial events. I have heard they also sold tickets at a premium price to their events, and that they were quite the party for the audience beside the fights being showcased.

I would be inclined to believe they have actually operated at a loss for their first couple of years. They have now secured a network deal so I am thinking now is when they are going to start pushing for profit. I would not be surprised if they perhaps do networked seasons with Pay-Per-View championships. My hope though, is they do not abandon the audience they built up through youtube, and that they continue to provide free content.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that their business model was based on selling to networks around the place, they certainly won't be generating much off YouTube views.......
I'd like to be able to attend one of their events tho......but I suspect the "Audience" are all actually just crew....

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:

I'd like to be able to attend one of their events tho......but I suspect the "Audience" are all actually just crew....

In the first season, they said that the audience was "invitation only" and made it sound like a bit of a VIP event. This time around the audience seems a lot more generic, so yes, probably just crew dressed up. It is exactly the same people in all the events they showed so far, so I suspect they filmed them all in one go. Plus very cirngy green screen technique for the background. I guess this is mostly due to COVID-19, though. I hope they go back to a bit more of a live event feeling for future seasons.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few shows have been pretty good, the cream starting to rise to the top................

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
The last few shows have been pretty good, the cream starting to rise to the top................

Bulltahr, I agree with you 100%. I have been enjoying this league more and more.

Karate no michi!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I find this on YouTube?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's this: https://www.youtube.com/KarateCombat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Sunday US something time.......... 2-3 fights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: