Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrisw08
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/ Kenshin Kan/ of Grandmaster Fusei Kise/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Kickboxing without the kickboxing Reply with quote

Hi my name is chris and i have been practicing martial arts for around 4 years or so now off and on. I have been to a dojo for Kempo shorin ryu and gung fu and have studied after leaving the dojo the fighting styles Kyokushin, xing yi and I bought dvds and starting training in shotokan. I have enjoyed learning a bit from all the arts and learning the diffrences and simularities of each. i love the simpicity of shotokan but couldnt find a direct style to practice.

I am taking up kickboxing and training on my own learning the technuiqes and practicing on my bag. I think this is great to learn cause it is universal to almost all the styles in some way. Well I was just making this post to let yall know what im doing and your opinion and I wont be in any kickboxing matches but I dont think that matters much im still going to compete in martial art tournements

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

I would keep with at least one of the styles you mention. If your taking up kick boxing is it at a Gym or via a few videos etc/

The thing is once you're on your own you develop your own "nasty" habits and nobody will be there to correct them!

make sure if your're on your own you attend as many seminars as you can get to and make sure you have your own valid insurance if you want to compete, it will so much dearer as an individual than it would be via an instructor/Dojo

OSU

Open minded
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, judo, jujitsu, ninjisu, wing chun kung fu, JKD, MMA, Aikido, Boxing, Kick Boxing, street fighting, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get professional lessons of course they cost money and that don't fall of trees just get a nice little job you might have a job already and save up

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lew of finding a school to train at, using equipment at home to keep your techniques and skills up is a great idea, and highly recommended to retain skills. Not having a partner is detrimental to timing and such, but not training at all is even more so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: