Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Brian's absolutely correct!

Values and the like are taught in the home. Therefore, parents decide what their kids watch and/or what their exposed to, not anybody else.

In this forum we can have an opinion, but, it's what the parents decide is what matters!

The martial arts is an extention of those good value's as to what's taught at home. If the parents don't like our values, then, the parent will stop our influences.

I'm a parent, and I decide, not anybody else, including their school teachers, school administration, and/or school counselor. Again, I don't have a problem with the school allowing MMA in the school curriculum UNTIL the kids are allowed to "GET-IT-ON" and trauma is encouraged!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beast wrote:
I'm just saying that when these kids watch TUF and see how most of the fighters disrespect each other with trash talking (ala WWE) and what not.They think it's fine to treat other people that way,and since MMA is a sport,and like other sports it's all about winning,there are no values like ( honor discipline and respect )being taught. Even though these values should also be taught in the home.

Then the parents shouldn't be letting them watch TUF, if that is how they feel about it. Again, something that starts at home. In fighting like that, these guys try to get each other off balance mentally as well as physically, and this is one way of doing it; trashing them. Trash talking is a lot older than just this MMA inception, as well. Its been around for quite some time.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido man is very correct in his assessment of trash talking.

It's easy to blame MMA for this considering some of the things said during TUF or at the end of PPV's, however, it's been around awhile. Not just in the WWE either.

Go to any high school athletic event and you'll see similar. Hang out during practices of the same high school athletics and you'll hear it even worse. It almost a given part of the adolescent psyche as it relates to competitive endeavors.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that trash talking started with MMA. What I am saying is that learning MMA is not like TMA where you learn to respect one another.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I think that the mass perception is that, but you still see a lot of respect between fighters.

Anyway, I think, as with all things, it depends on how it's taught. One doesn't teach kids classes in trad arts the same way they do adults. Kids just don't have the maturity to deal with some aspect. Same is true for MMA, if the programs for kids are specifically designed there's no reason it can't teach what you want it to and still be mma.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the original video still works but I was against this type of MMA training for young kids because of the methods that were being employed. If I remember correctly, in the video there was this bit where the trainer was asking this little girl if she was angry yet because the other kid messed up her hair and then pretty much asked her what she was going to do about it in the ring. I don't think this is at all appropriate for kids this age because what happens when they're in school and someone messes up their hair? They're going to be programmed to ground and pound the other kid. As a whole I think MMA is fine for kids but only as long as the programme is appropriate for their age, just like any other MA. If the teaching methods and content are age appropriate then I think its great for kids...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I don't know. I think that the mass perception is that, but you still see a lot of respect between fighters.

Anyway, I think, as with all things, it depends on how it's taught. One doesn't teach kids classes in trad arts the same way they do adults. Kids just don't have the maturity to deal with some aspect. Same is true for MMA, if the programs for kids are specifically designed there's no reason it can't teach what you want it to and still be mma.

I agree with tg here as well. Respect is there. I think it is earned in a different way, and not through philosophical talks taking place between rounds. When you step into a ring, and can go toe-to-toe with someone for 45 minutes, you learn a respect for one another, just in a different way.

And I know of some "traditional" Martial Artists that have many questionable habits in their daily lives, some of which makes one wonder if they have learned things like self-control, or suppressig their ego. But, there is no denying that they are good at what they do.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think kids need to learn trash talking and aggression solved with violence at this early an age. At least put some head gear on them. I see a lot of potential for injuries during training, and also for this leaving the dojo and ending up in the schoolyard.

That said, if my kid was forced to fight as part of the reality of being in a rough school, I'd put him or her in MMA for sure - but maybe toned down a little.

It's just yet another indicator of the way our entire culture is developing. Or some would say decaying.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the risk of injury and wrong atttudes no different than any other kid competitive sport?

Last edited by RichardZ on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that risk of injury is higher, yes, depending on the rules used, and the safety equipment. Kids using MMA gloves and hitting each other in the face is not good for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: