Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

do you think that combat is purely a physical endaevour
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hung gar, Shaolin, Taichi, south sea fist and Raj shank astra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: KUNG FU AND CHI NA ARE EFFECTIVE BOTH STANDUP AND GROUND Reply with quote

Most people today believe that kung fu is amazing in stand up combat but not as effective on the ground. I would urge them to do more proper research chi na is one of the most effective grappling systems in the world.
Many people have found the error of their ways and opinions against me in that manner.
There is also a belief that all fights inevitably end up on the ground, I totally disagree good luck getting me or one of my advanced students to the ground.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it's purely physical!! It requires, imho, quite a lot of mental, and in that, I'd say that the mental side does greatly outweigh the physical side.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest part of any fight (competition) or street situation is mental / psychological. Most situations end before they get physical because one party has enough mental fortitude to either deescalate the situation or "psyche out" / intimidate the other party into giving up...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all martial arts have physical, mental and spiritual aspects; it depends on your focus. It is good that you have great faith in your martial art system, but I believe that almost all traditions of combat art have something to offer. It all depends on the way it is taught; the attitude, the ethos and the depth of experience of the teacher. I know some Tai Chi schools that have some of the best martial artists I have ever known, others literally go through the motions. I would never claim that my style of Karate is the best, it just works for me, physically, mentally and spiritually. I know so called Sensei in my own style that teach utter rubbish. It has a lot to do with the "Do" and not losing your integrity for financial gain.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased with the answers I have recieved to my comment, most of my peers that I have thus far encountered are in my opinion delusional in their outlook.
The senseis and sifus that have commented on my post seem far more sensible and knowledgeable.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be foolish to assume that fighting is purely physical. Whether you are engaged in sporting combat or a self defense situation, you need to be fully aware of yourself, your opponent, and your surroundings. You also need to be cognizant of the consequences of your actions, which requires forethought. Aside from that, we have to deal with high levels of stress/anxiety, adrenal response, and psychological barriers to violence. Fighting is really very complex.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider any current CMA material that I have seen to be effective on the ground for the simple reason that they do not practice on the ground. A BJJ school that never rolled would not produce effective students.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the body will follow the mind. In that, no endeavor, martial or otherwise, is purely physical.

That said, I'm not understanding the connection between your poll question and the statements you're making in your OP.

I agree with Justice Zero. You're only ever going to be effective in the areas where you regularly train. If you never actually train on the ground, you'll be ineffective on the ground. If you never actually train standing, you'll be ineffective standing.

But no system is more superior than another. It may be superior for YOU. But that's not a product of the system, rather a product of the hard work the individual put in.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference between me and most kungfu teachers is my students do train in ground combat.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapt of die!! It's a simple golden rule, and in that, the MA isn't an exception. Want to teach/learn ground fighting and the like? Then get on the ground so that one can become effective!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: