Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Lack of training under times like these Reply with quote

I just quickly read through the entire Covid thread in the Health & Fitness section again. It’s just so depressing seeing it all unfold in hindsight.

I haven’t worked out since around February. I’ve been putting in a ton of overtime at work (willfully). I make a famous (or infamous, depending on your politics lol) biotech drug that’s nearing FDA approval for Covid treatment (not vaccine). A ton of OT to be had and I’m taking as much as possible.

Aside from that, I honestly have little desire to go back under our state’s stipulations. I agree with them, but I don’t like them. Due to our dojo’s floor size, we’re limited to 5 people per class. You’ve got to email your availability, and they’ll fit you in as they can. No contact with each other nor equipment. Masks required. We’re a small club, so there’s not a lot of classes available outside of this; pretty much one a night for kyus, and 2 a night one night a week for black belts (one is black belt only class).

I feel awful about it, but I can’t do non contact, what basically becomes cardio karate without bags and striking pads, with a mask on. I physically could, but mentally, I’m not into that. They tried running classes and having people who couldn’t get in link up through Zoom, but that became a disaster somehow. If I sucked it up and went through with it, I would’ve tested for shodan. In our dojo, but linked up to honbu through Zoom. No contact. Again, I hate to say it, but I’m not into that. No disrespect in any way to people who have done it that way (including a few at our dojo who tested for dan ranks), but I don’t want to test that way. It wouldn’t mean much, if anything, to me. I want to be pushed mentally and physically through kumite, not just kata and kihon. Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s just how I feel and I can’t change that.

I could and definitely should work out by going over my material and hitting my bag, but I don’t have the motivation right now. Working 50 hours a week on my feet all day, wife and 10 and 7 year old children, new puppy lol, doing home improvement and woodworking stuff; training has taken a hiatus for the time being. And it kills me to say it, but it’s how I feel. I’ve stopped by a few times to say hi and see how things are going before classes start. And I feel guilty I’m not training.

I understand the current mandates and agree with them. There’s no point in exposing people to this. My CI is 70. His wife is probably 5 years younger or so. There’s some people with heightened risks.

I just want all of this to end so we can all get back to our normal lives. Rant over.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137, I understand completely. However I would highly encourage you to still workout. It may help you handle this pandemic better than not working out.

As an aside, for years I had to train on my own. It was tough, and sometimes I failed to find the motivation to do it. However, in the end it all paid off.

Our gym, which is on a US Army Post, restricted us from training there back in March of this year. In April, we moved outdoors to a park and kept our same practice schedule there until the end of October. Now, with daylight ending earlier and cold weather coming through, we have made adjustments. We are indoors...varying between a personal home garage gym and my wife's school's basketball gym (she works at a Private Catholic School that has remained open full time for in class teaching). But, we are a very small dojo, myself and 6 students only, so it is easy to make these adjustments.

Again, my encouragement to you is to still try to workout. It is not only physically helpful but also mentally therapeutic. Good luck.

Karate no Michi!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fat Cobra. Don't let this virus dictate your private training at all, if possible. Training with others in a class structure, well, that's up to the individual, and no one should ever judge anyone for taking all of the necessary steps to protect yourself from this deadly pandemic.

I've underlying conditions, so I've decided to close my dojo, and go virtual, however that can be done. I'm the dullest knife in the drawer when it comes to things like that.

But solo training!? I'd never stop that at all.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR, I couldn't agree more. I don't like the idea of trying to train with a mask on, nor do I like the idea of training without contact. Sure, I can, and do, walk through my one-steps and three-steps often, but I need the partner work to really stay fresh. And I need the sparring. Everyone will have lost so much timing, distancing, etc. when this is all over and normalcy resumes (if it ever does again).

I also agree with your feelings about testing over Zoom or some other electronic platform. It just wouldn't be the same.

But Bob and Fat Cobra make good points. I can understand not feeling the motivation to train after putting long days at work, and having a family that needs your attention, as well. But, if you could even find 15 minutes to walk through a kata, work a bag, or anything like that, just 15 minutes, it can make a difference in how you feel and in your mindset.

It's a tough time, but we're tougher people, and we'll pull through it.

This, too, shall pass.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you here JR. It sucks big time.

In the summer I was quite motivated, ran Zoom classes online, was training like crazy myself (mostly general strength and cardio plus bag work). We opened up for a couple of weeks and did socially distant training. I even ran a colour belt exam but all low belts (6th kup and below).

Now we're back in lockdown in the UK and I've had enough. I can tell the students need it though. Our Zoom classes are even busier than the first lockdown and we're hitting around 25 students per session, just over half of our school. We've also been doing online national training via Zoom and actually its working well as we're spending a lot of time working the basics, positions and general fitness.

Its tough but its not always a bad thing to take a break. Might end up being a good thing for you. Martial Arts are supposed to enhance your life not feel like a burden.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Our Zoom classes are even busier than the first lockdown and we're hitting around 25 students per session, just over half of our school.

That's awesome that you're pulling so many into Zoom classes!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Our Zoom classes are even busier than the first lockdown and we're hitting around 25 students per session, just over half of our school.

Very, very cool. Where there's a will, there's a way.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:

I was pretty surprised the first time it happened as in the summer we'd be at around 10-15 per session. But I think now it's dark and wet outside so the kids are stuck inside rather than enjoying the sunshine

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:

I was pretty surprised the first time it happened as in the summer we'd be at around 10-15 per session. But I think now it's dark and wet outside so the kids are stuck inside rather than enjoying the sunshine
Ah yes, that would make sense. Either way, I hope your numbers stay up there, and you continue to see success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: