Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Learn from my mistakes Reply with quote

On Saturday, I got my 2nd COVID vaccine booster. The first 2 were really nothing, and I was able to take part in intense workouts the day after. As a point of fact (and to be a little braggy) the day after my second shot I ran a 5k. Super casual. No big deal. Felt a little more winded than I might have normally, but altogether not so winded that it was worrisome. Anyway, the pharmacist who administered my 3rd shot this Saturday mentioned that she, too, had very little issues with the previous 2 shots, but the 3rd really knocked her on her butt. On Saturday, after the shot, I was quite taken out and ended up sleeping for 4 hours, waking up for a quick bite, and then slept the night through. Sunday I a little tired, but fine. Yesterday, I felt fine and was exciting for Monday night karate. I noticed some lethargy, but overall was fine. Until I got to class. Monday's are particularly intense when it comes to cardio. We really earn our lumps these days, as it were, and I do 2 classes. Within the first 10 minutes, I know that I had made a mistake. I was entirely more winded than I normally would be. Doing kata was borderline nausea inducing as well. The rapid movements and twisting was a lot. I stuck it out for the whole 2 hours, but I maybe should not have.

Long story short, take it from me: do as I say and not as I did. 2 days after the 2nd booster, if you get it, is not enough recovery time for exercise. Maybe by tomorrow I will be tip-top, I'll let y'all know if 5 days is sufficient. Sufficed to say, today is a rest day.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Learn from my mistakes Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
On Saturday, I got my 2nd COVID vaccine booster. The first 2 were really nothing, and I was able to take part in intense workouts the day after. As a point of fact (and to be a little braggy) the day after my second shot I ran a 5k. Super casual. No big deal. Felt a little more winded than I might have normally, but altogether not so winded that it was worrisome. Anyway, the pharmacist who administered my 3rd shot this Saturday mentioned that she, too, had very little issues with the previous 2 shots, but the 3rd really knocked her on her butt. On Saturday, after the shot, I was quite taken out and ended up sleeping for 4 hours, waking up for a quick bite, and then slept the night through. Sunday I a little tired, but fine. Yesterday, I felt fine and was exciting for Monday night karate. I noticed some lethargy, but overall was fine. Until I got to class. Monday's are particularly intense when it comes to cardio. We really earn our lumps these days, as it were, and I do 2 classes. Within the first 10 minutes, I know that I had made a mistake. I was entirely more winded than I normally would be. Doing kata was borderline nausea inducing as well. The rapid movements and twisting was a lot. I stuck it out for the whole 2 hours, but I maybe should not have.

Long story short, take it from me: do as I say and not as I did. 2 days after the 2nd booster, if you get it, is not enough recovery time for exercise. Maybe by tomorrow I will be tip-top, I'll let y'all know if 5 days is sufficient. Sufficed to say, today is a rest day.

Great and informing story, Zaine; thank you for it.

Saturday, my wife, Linda, and myself received our 3rd vaccine as well as our flu shot at around 1pm. I've never had any reactions to the Covid-19 vaccines before, and I'm sure that is still the same for the 3rd shot.

Then when one of my many bathroom trips, I woke up not feeling myself at all. I felt like I got the flu!! I felt like death warmed over.

I slept all day Sunday until 2pm. I woke up feeling much better, but still, there was no pep in my step; that didn't return until Monday. I still think it was the flu shot that kicked my butt for those 24 hours. I didn't have the flu shot with the other 2 shots back in January and February 2021.

Glad to hear that you're far better, Zaine!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to update! Wednesday was fine so maybe 5 days is the sweet spot? I will say that I didn't get a flu shot last Saturday, but when I did receive one the month before I was fine. I have heard a few people say that the 3rd shot wasn't anything bad for them so maybe I just drew the short straw this go around.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will definitely hit folks in different ways. The booster mainly made me tired and weak for the first 24 hours. We did some very light, low intensity workouts for the first two mornings before getting back to our normal stuff on the third morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: