Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

John_newman
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
John_newman wrote:
Very Informative Post.
I am very new to karate and i was looking to join some informative forums and I guess I made a right choice.

Anyone here from Brea California?

Welcome to KF, John_newman; glad that you're here!!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that.
Can you please help me out in choosing the right Gi for karate?

What is the difference between Karate gi and other gis
I bought a gi online and my couch said it is a BJJ gi and i seriously have no idea about what is a karate gi and what is the difference between my gi and the karate gi. I checked the web and it is bjj gi but why is this a BJJ gi?

I tried to search about it online but couldn't get sufficient information about that so i think i should ask the question here.
I saw all were wearing almost the same gi in the gym.

Please help me out and thanks in advance for your help. Here is the gi link which i have.

https://www.elitesports.com/collections/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-mens-bjj-gis/products/elite-sports-essential-ultra-light-preshrunk-navy-adult-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-bjj-gi-with-free-white-belt

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BJJ gi and/or a Judo gi and/or any same like gi is different than any other gi because for the most, they're made specifically for grappling, and developed to withstand the pulling and grabbing that Bjj consists of.

If you're training in Karate, then you'll be better off with a gi designed specifically for Karate. Karate gi's aren't made out of paper, so they will take punishment, but not the type of punishment that a BJJ/Judo will take.

Many Karate gi's come heavy or light or middle weight; those are of a personal choice, and not much of a requirement. I believe that beginning students should purchase a lightweight gi, otherwise you'll be wearing a small sauna. A lightweight gi is perfect for any beginner across the board.

Where you purchase a Karate gi from will also be of a personal choice. Most dojo's sell gi's, therefore, ask your CI for advice in this regard, and get the CI's directions as to what you should do. If the dojo sells you a Karate gi, it'll be a lightweight gi; a Student gi, and they usually come with a white belt.

I hope what I've said in a nutshell helps you.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy my Gis from Century Martial Arts, but that is a personal preference. I like heavy Karate Gis...10 ounces or more. However, for beginning students I recommend a medium Gi of 8 ounces.

Here is a link:
https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/uniforms-belts/uniforms/uniform-type=complete-uniform/martial-arts-style=karate/uniform-weight=8-oz/8-oz-middleweight-uniform-041?returnurl=%2fshop%2funiforms-belts%2funiforms%2funiform-type%3dcomplete-uniform%2fmartial-arts-style%3dkarate%2funiform-weight%3d8-oz%2f

John_newman
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_newman wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
John_newman wrote:
Very Informative Post.
I am very new to karate and i was looking to join some informative forums and I guess I made a right choice.

Anyone here from Brea California?

Welcome to KF, John_newman; glad that you're here!!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that.
Can you please help me out in choosing the right Gi for karate?

What is the difference between Karate gi and other gis
I bought a gi online and my couch said it is a BJJ gi and i seriously have no idea about what is a karate gi and what is the difference between my gi and the karate gi. I checked the web and it is bjj gi but why is this a BJJ gi?

I tried to search about it online but couldn't get sufficient information about that so i think i should ask the question here.
I saw all were wearing almost the same gi in the gym.

Please help me out and thanks in advance for your help. Here is the gi link which i have.

https://www.elitesports.com/collections/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-mens-bjj-gis/products/elite-sports-essential-ultra-light-preshrunk-navy-adult-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-bjj-gi-with-free-white-belt

Thank you very much. It really helps me to understand Gis.

Seamas
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Fact! Though you all probably know it already. Karate Gis were adopted from Judo, not for any practical reason, but to help make Karate more appealing to Japanese people, as back in the day when it first arrived in Japan it wasn’t very popular.

So Karate Suits are really a marketing tool/Japanese Fashion statement 😆 (that is if this is in fact true, can’t remember where I read that.)

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dogi is really just Japanese formal underwear so it is a bit like runners wearing a singlet and shorts. I bought a very expensive Japanese underwear set for my Iaido training once, a white jacket and trousers to go under uwagi and hakama. When they came they had the description "karate gi" on the tag and were identical to a karate gi I had purchased elsewhere for about 75% of the price!

As for a new suit, in a hot climate (I assume you feel fairly warm in California) an 8-10oz suit will probably be good. I think you can get fabrics like clima-cool over in the US, they don't sell them in the UK for obvious reasons. If you do a lot of grappling then you might want to go up a weight to 12oz at some point. The heavier weights will make you sweat but when you get up the belts your techniques will make the heavier gi "snap" with every punch and kick. It sounds good and makes you feel like you are in a Bruce Lee movie.

EDIT - just realised I'm a bit late on this one, oh well!

The BJJ gi is generally a softer weave to prevent mat-rash, it wicks sweat away from the skin well but you will never get it to snap like 14oz cotton canvas. You may also find it cut a little restrictively in the crotch, BJJ rarely calls for a side kick at head level.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forgot to mention, that as far as Karate Gi's are concerned, I always recommend to my new students to purchase a LIGHTWEIGHT Gi of 6 ounces because anything heavier for a beginner will be worse that a sauna.

Get use to wearing one first; one can always purchase a heavier Gi later, if need be.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've forgot to mention, that as far as Karate Gi's are concerned, I always recommend to my new students to purchase a LIGHTWEIGHT Gi of 6 ounces because anything heavier for a beginner will be worse that a sauna.

Get use to wearing one first; one can always purchase a heavier Gi later, if need be.

Very good point Sensei8, plus martial arts isn't for everyone, so why waste money a gi that is a bit more expensive.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Very good point Sensei8, plus martial arts isn't for everyone, so why waste money a gi that is a bit more expensive.
Honestly, I've been over the heavy gi for some time now. I know a lot of the younger people like them, for that snap and pop when doing forms. I'm way past caring about that now!

stoneheart
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Honestly, I've been over the heavy gi for some time now. I know a lot of the younger people like them, for that snap and pop when doing forms. I'm way past caring about that now![/quote]

I perspire heavily. So a lightweight uniform just won't cut it. It is nasty to have a gi so wet that it drips moisture from the arm cuffs. The heavy fabric will hold the wetness so that is why I use it. That and they last longer. I've had gi last over 10 years with care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: