Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Looking for some target pad kicking drills... Reply with quote

I am looking for some target pad kicking drills I can use to spice up classes a little bit, that is more than just kicking a paddle with one kick. I'm looking for kick combinations or punch/kick combos that others might use in training for sparring.

I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do all our kick combinations to pads. Last grading it was Ushiro Geri, Mwashi Geri (Back Kick, Roundhouse KIck). Next Time it's Mae Geri, Ushiro Mwashi Geri, Sirikomi Mwashi Geri (Front Kick, Turning Heel Kick, Step Up Roundhouse Kick).

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite drills involves my partner moving in and out and to either sides and so on and so forth with the pads in no particular way. Why? In real life, our opponents don't always, if at all, move any perscribed manner; they just move. This drill makes one think because not always is said target(s) within rangeable abilities. This drill also forces one to also drill the many phases of Koshi. Koshi is more than "hips", Koshi involves using your whole body in a coordinated manner to generate and transfer power, and to assist mobility. MOVE THE TARGETS!! Make them work for the targets in an effective manner.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one: pad holder starts out with pad against their chest, ready to hold it out for a right leg roundhouse kick. Kicker should start with right leg back, standing too close to kick the target. Pad holder puts target out for right leg roundhouse. Kicker immediately slides back, then throws a right leg roundhouse kick. Pad holder then holds for a turn back kick (they should do this as quickly as possible). Kicker immediately throws a turn back kick as soon as they land their roundhouse kick.

Two versions: in the first one, the kicker steps forward after the roundhouse kick; this means that the pad holder must slide back a small step when they hold up for the turn back kick. In the second version, the kicker places their foot back behind them after throwing the roundhouse kick, this means that the turn back kick is then from the same leg.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest thing to do is get 2 pads and "spar". Move around and have one person present the pad every so often in positions for roundhouse, hooks, punches or side kick / back kick. Other person has to react accordingly.

Or for a good footwork drill, have a pad at punching height and move back forward and left and right. Other person has to continually punch whilst tracking your position. Or track you whilst throwing roundhouses.

I always find looking at competitor training videos give good ideas of how to work the pads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPcUIO9Mt8g

Or search YouTube for videos from seminars with your favourite fighter / teacher:

It's not with pads per se but the following has loads of great drills snippets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIwfLzAaAE

Whatever drill it is, to teach good habits I always encourage the pad holder to try to tag the kicker after the drill. They've either got to move or cover up.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle, thanks for sharing those links. I like the ideas he has in those. Some great ideas to focus into a sparring class. I like his thoughts on keeping the target pads close, too, to get used to hitting.

sensei8 wrote:
My favorite drills involves my partner moving in and out and to either sides and so on and so forth with the pads in no particular way. Why? In real life, our opponents don't always, if at all, move any perscribed manner; they just move. This drill makes one think because not always is said target(s) within rangeable abilities. This drill also forces one to also drill the many phases of Koshi. Koshi is more than "hips", Koshi involves using your whole body in a coordinated manner to generate and transfer power, and to assist mobility. MOVE THE TARGETS!! Make them work for the targets in an effective manner.

I like this idea, and I want to use it in the future. But I want to get some drilling concepts down for the students (and myself) to get used to, that way when we do the random pad work like that, they will feel more comfortable with reacting.

Harkon72 and Rateh, thank you for your ideas, as well! I am going to try to start putting some things together so we can work on things like this, and these will be very helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: