Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Quiet Dragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad to see my first glance is the same as what you guys(or gals ) see.

Looks like "Karate for Kids" to me. As Shorinryu Sensei sadi, " looks like a belt factory".

As I said, I visited last weekend and noticed that a lot of the kids and one of the black belt instructors ( who was no older than early 20's) had all kinds of stripes on their belts. Not just a few, but some kids had like 8 stripes on their belts. Either white or yellow.

I wanted to get others opinion because for those of us who live and breathe martial arts, no matter what style, these kinds of "kid karate" "belt factory's" do the art a true injustice. As it was mentioned, you really dont expect much out of a 30 minute class do you? Except for maybe to attempt to hold a childs attention for close to that long.

Looks like a daycare with American karate mixed in......I say American karate....not martial arts.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get off the subject, but it appears we've pretty well reolved the initial question of the thread anyway at this point.

A few years ago, I moved to Houston, Tx for a short while (6 months) to do some "soul searching"...long story. Anyway, while there I would do searches on the internet, the yellow pages and just cruising down the streets in the evenings looking for different systems of martial arts that I had never seen before (I live in Montana ya know...lol).

I have never seen so many Master-this, or Master-that's in my LIFE! I'd say 90% of them placed an emphasis on flash over effectiveness, from what I saw. Flashy techniques, flashy uniforms, flashy dojo's...YUCK! I would always introduce myself to the sensei if possible and explain that I had recently moved to Houston as was looking for a place to train. I was amazed at the hard-sell sales pitch that soon followed. It made me feel like I was in a used car lot!

I saw in many of these dojo's, kids as young as 8 wearing black belts, and adults that, IMHO, didn't have the skills to be wearing a blue belt, let alone one...or more black belts. I understand that standards vary from system to system, or dojo to dojo..but some of these people were TERRIBLE!

Amyway, it was an ainteresting 6 months down there. I found some really good schools, and many more that I wouldn't bother to visit again. I've never understood how some sensei can cheapen the art, just to make money? Values are screwed up somewhere....IMHO

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true Shorinryu Sensei. I'm all for free enterprise but to take someone's money and possibly give them a false sense of security that could get them or someone else hurt is not right. As our Hanshi has said "do you want a colored belt or do you want to learn Martial Arts" if it's the later be ready for a long haul. If you just want a belt he says he can get us whatever color we want for 5 dollars in about 3 days. I choose to learn the art. Hanshi will promote no one until he feels they are ready to go on to the next challenge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Pride&Poise
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won (now); Tae Kwon Do (15 years ago)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know anything about this particular school/style, but if I could just play devil's advocate for a minute...

I do think 30 minute classes could be appropriate for kids 4-6. At our school they are 45. They tried 60 minutes, but I understand they found it works better at the shorter length for kids of that age. 30 doesn't seem too short. But yes, it does seem to short for older kids and adults.

Quote:
Not just a few, but some kids had like 8 stripes on their belts. Either white or yellow.

Couldn't that be a good sign? If they have lots of stripes, maybe it means they test them on a regular basis, but instead of promoting them to new belts with each test, they give stripes to show progress? That way they aren't acting as a belt factory?

I don't know... you saw the place so you are in a much better position to judge, and are probably right. Those were just a few things that came to mind.

I definitely agree that McDojo's are not the way to go for anyone who is serious about truly learning their art.

MantisWarrior
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Exchange kung fu, kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know America has watered down a lot of styles don't get me wrong i love my country with all my heart but its a fact.
so any style that says America in it i would be worried about.
thats jest my oppinion.

lonewolf0323
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one down the road from where I live and I wasn't impressed by it. I am in boxing and I am looking to get into a form of ma. When I went there all I saw were little kids and I talked to one of the instructors there well when I said i had done boxing he acted like I was some thug looking to get into ma to hurt people. Telling me that they try to find people that want to learn to protect themselves and not looking train people who just want to learn to fight. I guess he got mad cause he was trying to do a sales pitch of TKD on me and I told him I didn't like TKD. I don't know what the other ones teach but the one down here has TKD,Aikido,Ninjitsu, and kickboxing.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: