Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TSDforChrist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: 4th Dan Tang Soo Do, 1st Dan Hapkido, Okinawan Shuri-Ryu, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get one off the ground as well - It depends on if you are doing it through a church, or as a parachurch ministry feeding into local churches. If you are doing it through a chuch, make sure you have GOOD insurance and waivers, and make good friends with the budget committe . I'm attempting to do it by incorporating as a not-for-profit, which keeps it tax-exempt and still allows me to live (poorly ). Your largest concern is honestly going to be information: meaning, get a packet together for people interested, but more importantly, get out a flyer. Explain (especially if you have older and more conservative people...I'm a Southern Baptist in the deep south, so it's a real necessary step) exactly what the thought behind martial arts is. Remember that most Christians honestly beleive it is a mix of Eastern mysticism and learning how to beat people up. The aforementioned website at agapy does have a book of devotionals for martial artists as well. I personally am doing as ministry in this way: Open and close with prayer, short devotion at the beginning of class, memory verse requirements for testing, and obejct lessins in class (faith/breaking, etc.). I am also blatatnly "borrowing" the lesson about Shammah and standing up for God from karateforchrist.com (its under their "teachings"). I think the biggest factor in any ministry is prayer, and a fervent desire to do God's will. He does have a way of making things fall together if it's what He wants you to do.
I'll pray for you!

dtstiachi
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Tai Chi, Kotana Karate, Bagua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be praying for your ministry and may God bless you in the future.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any advice to give you as such, but as a karateka and a Christian I just want to wish you the best of luck!

I work with teenagers in a Bible class in my church and I know it can take a lot of patience, so you'll be in my prayers!

Good luck!

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentalist Christians would freak about that idea LOL

But

Philippians 1:12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. 1:13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.
1:14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly. 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 1:16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 1:17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 1:10-17 1:18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

swdw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Matayoshi Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been part of one and am now running one. The great thing is you can weave examples from the Bible thru the class, use physical principles to teach spiritual principles and vice versa.

I also teach a short Bible study at the end that is optional. I do the same thing I do in class, tie the spiritual and physical principles together. The reason I do this is that most people alive when the scriptures were written understood principles of personal warfare. Today, few people have a reference to understand these principles unless their ex- military.

Here's an example. Take the passages on double mindedness. and illustrate why this is a problem by talking about how ineffective techniques thrown with uncertainty are.

You'd be amazed how well biblical principles can be illustrated this way.

Also, give them a Biblical basis as to WHY it's ok to learn self defense, not just that you feel its ok. I wrote a detailed study that some of you may have read. It's on the internet. Any of you can use it at no cost. If you make any changes to it, then they must be identified as your changes.
Here's the link:
http://www.opdevelopers.org/defense.html

Last, many Christian martial arts schools don't train as intensely as a secular school and subsequently have substandard technique. I was involved in secular MA for a number of years before getting saved and we considered most CMA programs a joke. If you are going to do this, you have to make the decision to be excellent and inspire your students to make that their goal.Not doing so dishonors God.

I live in Colorado, if anyone close wants to get together and chat, just yell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: