Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that XtremeTrainer's use of the name "Christopher" was in reference to A MAN, and not just a name, which is a male name. So, XtremeTrainer wouldn't hold anything back against A MAN, but he would possibly hold back against A WOMAN!!

I could be mistaken!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way holding back or hesitation because of preconceived notions, breaks an important principle of self defense: never underestimate a hostile person’s potential to cause harm. The attacker’s sex means nothing when the ultimate goal is to get through him,her or it, and escape with as little injury as possible.

Still curious about the whole “Christopher” thing..

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting Force With Force Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:
...I would also like to point out that if my assailant has the name Christopher that should give me more of a right to use force and hopefully I should be able to use that in court to my favor....

I've read and re-read this but still don't understand the significance of the name Christopher. Is there an inside joke here or what am I missing?

Perhaps some people find folks with that name more trustworthy, as it's derived from Christ?

As opposed to a more Islamic sounding name, like Muhammed you mean?

I hope it's nothing like that. Apart from being blatantly racist it would also be plain silly. I'd be willing to bet that exactly zero people ever have ever looked at their newborn child with awe, and declared, I will name him Christopher, so that he can be a more successful mugger as his victims won't defend themselves from him if he wears a name badge with Christopher written on it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, hopefully XtremeTrainer will further explain the "Christopher" thing to us, if possible. My offering of a possibility as to why wasn't received well, and I'm cool with that because I could be so far off base.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Meeting Force With Force Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:
...I would also like to point out that if my assailant has the name Christopher that should give me more of a right to use force and hopefully I should be able to use that in court to my favor....

I've read and re-read this but still don't understand the significance of the name Christopher. Is there an inside joke here or what am I missing?

Perhaps some people find folks with that name more trustworthy, as it's derived from Christ?

As opposed to a more Islamic sounding name, like Muhammed you mean?

I hope it's nothing like that. Apart from being blatantly racist it would also be plain silly. I'd be willing to bet that exactly zero people ever have ever looked at their newborn child with awe, and declared, I will name him Christopher, so that he can be a more successful mugger as his victims won't defend themselves from him if he wears a name badge with Christopher written on it.

Sadly names do play a big part in how people are treated. Here's a relatively famous example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7SG2C7IVU

Also, interesting choice about Muhammad/Mohammed. I live in a rural town in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The population is over 90% white, and over 80% Christian. I'm not religious at all, and my wife is Muslim. We've had several issues with individuals up here (mostly my wife, as she has an accent and a Muslim name... but I've had some run-ins too when.) We are concerned about the name we give our first kid, when we have one. My wife would love to keep the Middle Eastern culture alive in the family, and I think that would be neat, too. But what would that do to our kid if he/she were to grow up here where we live?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: