Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Givnal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shudo-kan, gosoku-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mixing schools etiquette Reply with quote

I know many of you practice different styles but Im not sure how many activly practice at different schools and what the etiquette is in terms of the instructor liking that.
I practice shudo-kan and am very happy with the instruction as its one on one with a close friend who has dan ratings in shudo-kan and gosoku-ryu. I love the training alot and have gotten much out of it and since its basicly private lessons we move through the curriculum faster than a normal school.

Now my issue is that I played with a shito-ryu class for a day at a camp and had alot of fun but the kids took alot of the instructors time and I think alot was lost for me. I had a great time with the bo training and was thinking about taking that through them but Im not sure how it would be looked upon. Not from my first instructor who is supportive but from the new school. They really want me to join but I refuse to leave my first. I didnt get warm fuzzys from the sense who knew I was from a different style but that might just be his way. Anyway Im not sure if its common out there to take one style and train in another, in this case it would probably just be the bo training. Should I be concerned? The bo training would probably be once a month or so I think, when the instructor comes to town. We live in a kind of remote area. Just looking for thoughts.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask both senseis what they think.
I personally would tell the new guy to stuff it if he/she had a problem with sticking with your old style as well.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to both, and tell them your feelings. Then you will have to decide based on what they think, and on what directions you want your training to take.

Givnal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I know my first instructor is ok with it. Im not sure about the new one. Ill have to e mail and ask him. Is it common for someone to be able to take bo classes and not practice the karate style taught at the school? I probably wouldn't even ask if it is improper etiquette.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, who knows? Everyone's idea of acceptable is different.

Givnal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Ill have to just ask I guess.

YoungMan
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, some Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do both, personally. However, it would be wise to ask both Instructors, and follow their advice. If one Instructor says no, you must follow their advice. Why ask them if you're not going to listen to what they say?
The traditional way is to follow your Instructor's teaching. If your teacher doesn't want you to do something, don't do it. If you don't want to listen to them, don't practice under them.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We offer kobudo independant of Karate. That's proably going to be a judgment call of the sensei though. I don't see the harm in it, but it really depends on the instructor. Some teachers require you take open-hand arts from them before taking weapons classes to ensure the person's not going to flake out on them after a few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: