Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two things you don't want to go cheap on. Those are mouth pieces and cups.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittbullJudoka wrote:
There's two things you don't want to go cheap on. Those are mouth pieces and cups.

I think any sort of safety equipment should have the dollars spent on it. Gloves, foot pads, shin guards, whatever, don't go cheap on it because you pay for what you get. More expensive stuff tends to last longer anyway.

david123
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have an opro sheild gold level...about £16 for karate, it hasnt let me down but ive only realy been hit lightly with it in.... a very cheap one isnt going to give you protection...its actualy meant to stop you from your brain shaking when you get hit in the teeth(it happens).....but the best would defonatly be goig to get one made from the dentist:D

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoGiant wrote:
IcemanSK, you answered my next question. What started me on this quest to get a better mouth guard was a HARD shot to the jaw. My face felt out of line for 2 days. I think the problem was that I was opening my mouth trying to suck in air when i got hit. Being able to wear a mouth guard and breath after I started panting would be great.

Most double (top and bottom) mouthguards have small breathing holes. They're said to offer better protection but make it harder to breath. Not sure if you can pant with one. Some have bigger openings.

The Brain Pad (formerly known as the Jaw Joint Protector) is a double mouthguard with extra material between the top and bottom teeth. This creates a sort of cushion between your jaw and the rest of your skull. When you get hit on the jaw, it kind of cushions the blow. This is an oversimplification, of course. See their webisite for details. Also, because there's more material between your teeth, the breathing hole is made bigger. You can clench and breath. Here's their site.
http://www.brainpads.com/

Oh, and as far as chewing through mouthguards, I don't know how hard it's supposed to be, but I remember hearing about someone coming out with flavored mouthguards a while back. It sounded like a great idea to me, but I heard kids would chew through them in no time flat!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:

Oh, and as far as chewing through mouthguards, I don't know how hard it's supposed to be, but I remember hearing about someone coming out with flavored mouthguards a while back. It sounded like a great idea to me, but I heard kids would chew through them in no time flat!

I had a dentist made one I went through. Not much just where my incisors are as I bit down. It wasn't as thick as my current one is and I think it was supposed to be for mid-level contact sports (whatever that means) rather than a thicker version like I have now.

at the flavoured mouthguards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: