Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: My first Krav Maga Lesson Reply with quote

It happened yesterday. First impression before starting was already very good. I figured out that I knew the head Instructor already (He was the husband of a person that I've trained in Karate) so the atmosphere was actually very friendly.
After warm-up an instructor showed me privately a lot of escapes from grabs, chokes etc. and he also teached me some phylosophical concepts concerning the art itself. At the end of the lesson I joined the rest of the group and the head instructor showed us some defense from knife attack. He is very experienced, he is in the special corps of italian police since 20+ years. He definitely knows what he is talking about.

My general impression is that KM approch to fighting is not as elegant as in a traditional MA, but you can be sure it is effective! I can say that KM is not much an "Art" but for sure is "Martial".

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
It happened yesterday. First impression before starting was already very good. I figured out that I knew the head Instructor already (He was the husband of a person that I've trained in Karate) so the atmosphere was actually very friendly.
After warm-up an instructor showed me privately a lot of escapes from grabs, chokes etc. and he also teached me some phylosophical concepts concerning the art itself. At the end of the lesson I joined the rest of the group and the head instructor showed us some defense from knife attack. He is very experienced, he is in the special corps of italian police since 20+ years. He definitely knows what he is talking about.

My general impression is that KM approch to fighting is not as elegant as in a traditional MA, but you can be sure it is effective! I can say that KM is not much an "Art" but for sure is "Martial".
Do you feel the knife defence aspects of KM to be more realistic or more vertual?

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
italian_guy wrote:

Do you feel the knife defence aspects of KM to be more realistic or more vertual?

The head instructor warned us to be not too confident in using those techiques in real situation because they are quite risky. Having said that my impression is that the head instructor was very expert and he could handle them quite well, in a less experienced guy the risk is actually non-negligible.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer by the IC.

Knife defense awareness is beneficial.

Being confident against a knife wielding attacker, has many variables, personally and preferably I would be more confident holding a loaded gun.

The problem with many knife defense classes, are that they seem to be designed to disarm slow moving attackers that move in telegraphing motions.

Whereas in real life, the multiple thrusting pump action use of a knife is stealthily employed in to the kidney area.

Also knifes are silent killing weapons good against guards, as not to alert unnecessary noises.

Knifes are close range weapons that are good for assignations, difficult to defend against, depending on the proficiency of the user.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who isn't proficient with a knife is still very dangerous, regardless of their training, or lack thereof.

Krav Maga provides a great platform for self-defense, I feel. In my DT training, we've learned defenses against knife, pistol, and even long guns. Very straight-forward tactics, and very useful, I feel.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having some KM experience:

Use what ever is available to you in the situation to survive and use every bit of knowledge and experience against the enemy, such as if they have facial hair or long hair; use it against them by holding on to it, controlling and seizing the moment.

If you are facing the opponent during the day, keep the sun on your back, so as the sun shines in their eyes and not yours.

Footwear can be an advantage or a disadvantage, make sure you are not wearing beach sandals while the opponent is wearing combat boots.

Improvisational weapons is a subject worth investigating, as everyday items can be utilized and disguised, such as holding a brown paper bag that contains a hammer.

Holding a hammer could seem to be threatening but holding a hammer in a brown paper bag isn't; just a part of the element of surprise tactics...

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Use what ever is available to you in the situation to survive and use every bit of knowledge and experience against the enemy, such as if they have facial hair or long hair; use it against them by holding on to it, controlling and seizing the moment.

If you are facing the opponent during the day, keep the sun on your back, so as the sun shines in their eyes and not yours.

Footwear can be an advantage or a disadvantage, make sure you are not wearing beach sandals while the opponent is wearing combat boots.

Improvisational weapons is a subject worth investigating, as everyday items can be utilized and disguised, such as holding a brown paper bag that contains a hammer.

Holding a hammer could seem to be threatening but holding a hammer in a brown paper bag isn't; just a part of the element of surprise tactics...

An empty brown paper bag is more dangerous than a brown paper bag with a hammer in it! just the action of blowing up a bag will in my experience makes people run away.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Our insructor has annouced a lesson on improvisational weapons next thursday... I think it is going to br fun!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Our insructor has annouced a lesson on improvisational weapons next thursday... I think it is going to br fun!
Let us all know how your lesson went, I'm curious and so will everyone else here also.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
italian_guy wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Let us all know how your lesson went, I'm curious and so will everyone else here also.

Since last evenining lesson was the last of the season (and then we had social dinner ) it was quite a short lesson. The instructor showed us the usage of kubotan (or as an alternative a robust pen). Then he showed us some techinques for gun disarming .. not as good as expected. Anyway kubotan is quite a useful self defensive tool I think I'll buy one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: