Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: My Journey Thus Far (Part 2) Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

This is a continuation of my "My Journey Thus Far" article. If you haven't read it already, please do so that you can know where I left off.

The school that I was referring to that I left my first TKD school for wasn't what I expected. My article "What I Have Learned" covers why. The main thing that I wrote about in that article was that I learned a major lesson about humility and modesty while I was training there. I earned my red belt there, but I feel I didn't earn it. Needless to say, I left there and went back to the first TKD dojang.

One of the major reasons why I left is that, I felt I was thrown into teaching. As I said in the article:

Quote:
I was an assistant instructor there. I learned a lot about teaching. But even the kids had the "rank" had ego. Because of the color around my waist, I was treated like I wasn't "worthy." They would try to use their rank against me. Then I would tell them to respect your elders. They didn't know what I meant. These kids don't have any discipline or respect. It was really hard for me to try to teach them that when the master instructor doesn't teach it.

I was also asked to teach at the YMCA for my instructor. He wanted to have an adult teach there. I kind of didn't have a choice. I was the only adult available to teach there at the time. I learned something from this experience as well. I was kind of thrown into teaching. It was very hard for me. When I had a question or concern, I didn't have a black belt or instructor to ask. I was just a blue belt at the time and I was alone. I was very uncomfortable doing this. I should have said no, because I didn't have the experience and I wasn't a black belt. I learned by trail and error. Even though the kids at the YMCA were good kids, for the most part, I eventually stopped teaching there. It was overwhelming teaching 25+ kids with no help or experience.

Anyways, when I came back here (the first TKD school), I was told that it was possible to keep my rank. I actually didn't want to keep my red belt. I didn't earn it. But the first day back, I was told to wear my blue belt. I was very happy to do so. I was told by a couple of people that it takes modesty to start where you left off, instead of keeping my red belt. I told them that it does, but that wasn't the reason that I wanted to start from blue belt. I didn't earn my red belt (or my brown for that matter), therefore I did not want to keep it. As far as I was concerned, I was still a blue belt, the one I earned from here in the first place.

I eventually got back to red belt. I feel I earned it this time. My master instructor changed his curriculum, which is more self defense based and I had to relearn everything. I also had to change a few forms that I learned in the other school. But it was well worth the hard work.

As a red belt, I have to help out in the beginner and intermediate classes. I was kind of scared to do this from my previous teaching experience. But the first class I helped with wasn't so bad. I had the senior instructor and two black belts showing me what to do. If I have a question or concern, I have them there to answer them for me. I'm not doing this alone anymore. I am learning from the experienced ones. I was very comfortable with it this time. Teaching a beginner their new form or a kick, to see their face when they get it right, is the most amazing experience. This is nothing like it was when I taught for my last instructor. This is much better. This is giving me the experience for my own school in the future. I want to thank everyone at USA Masters Academy for this.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Article

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'm still at the same rank that I was when I wrote that LOL.

orion82698
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Barking Spider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I'm very happy for you! Keep pushing. It's so hard to find a school, that not only respects you as a person, and your opinion, but as a MA too.

Again, congrats, and good luck on your future teachings and tests!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article indeed

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great article, Laurie.

When I first started to help out teaching, I can remember being so nervous. I can't imagine what it would have been like, being thrown to the wolves like that.

I love teaching now, but who knows if it had been like that! I am glad to hear the you enjoyed assisting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: