Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last week I've had some of the worst ab workouts in a long while, and was after a reminder on all the proper techniques and how they work. With situps, they tend not to do much for me at all for a long while, so mabye I am making them too easy for myself, and sometimes my back hurts so I KNOW I am doing the technique incorrectly. With crunches, how long should I hold them when my shoulder blades are off the floor... and are there any easier methods of working the lower abs? The leglifts I find difficult, and even after putting on the most motivational music I can on max and really going for it, I end up collapsing and giving up, and I hate myself for it, I definitely need help there. If anybody can help, please do so!

Take Care
Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

muaythaidm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try getting a wheel. Doesnt need to be anything fancy just a wheel with handles that go though the center of the wheel. To use it you kneel on your knees, wheel out and back in. I have been using one for a while(like three weeks) and I made vast improvments in my ab region! They can be bought at stores like Wal-mart.

Anyway for any ab workout always do it on an empty stomach.

About your lower ab question try lying on you back. Put one hand on your stomach and the other under your head(leave your head on the floor so you dont stain your neck). Bend your legs so that your feet lay flat on the floor. Then raise your legs so your thighs are perpendicular(spelling?) to the floor, keeping the angle at your knees the same(slowly). Go back down and repeat. Do three sets of 15 with 15 sec. rest inbetween.

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good lower ab exercise.
I didn't know you were meant to do crunches/situps on an empty stomach...thanks for sharing that.

I used to have a wheel like you describe...once you get the hang of it, it's quite good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Sorry.. I've been "gone" for the weekend and really just checking in! I do LOTS of crunches in my class and will send to you (Jack) examples of lower and upper ab crunches that I do and you will get results!!!
Supine position....Keep legs low...heels together ...
hands behind head elbows pulled back...lift contracting abs 1 and down ...2 and down...3 and down...4 and down and so on.........
this is the BEST for lower. I have more to come and will get them to you this week!

Deby

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong! wrong wrong wrong!!

Now, this is an awesome exercise that i started doing about a month ago and already i have the ab muscles defined fairly well.

Leg Lifts:
-lay flat on you back.
-hands under ur buttocks (one hand one cheek)
-head and shoulders off the ground (so u can feel tension in your stomach).
-have you feet 6 inches off the ground.
-lift them 6 inches, then down (until they are 6 off the ground again).
-repeat this in sets.

I started doing about a hundred a night, but now i do 4 to 5 sets off 100 and it feels great!!
Don't get me wrong, this HURTS SOMETHING FIERCE!!!! but the pain is so well worth it. Do as many as u can (u'l know if u'r doing them properly cos it will hurt like righteous fury) and then do that in sets.

I think the most i've done in a row before collapsing is 217. THE PAIN!
Angus

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Angus, I find it more of a benefit to put my hands on my chest in the coffin position rather that have them under my *. Having them under your * means that your hands are slightly lifting your back off the floor ,meaking it easier to do the raise.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

superkicker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should always have your hands under your * or lower back to give your back support and stop any damage from occurring.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leg lifts I really hate but I'll give them a go.... I'll end up doing less reps or something too probably... Keep those different crunches coming too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome SUPERKICKER to this forum.......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you put your hands just above your butt and the small of your backside is to raise your pelvis (tilting it forward) so as not to put strain on back muscles by using them to do the crunch. This also isolates the ab muscles enabling you to lift and crunch using the proper muscles.

Yes, Angus ...Leg raises are also an awesome workout for the abs. They were an integral part of Bruce Lees workout and is how he kept his abs so cut.He also did:
Waist Twists, Sit up Twists, Leaning Twists and Frog Kicks.

Deby

Resistance Sit Ups
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: