Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Katana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody....you are really making feel welcome here

karatekid, I live in new york city...where there is like 5 million dojos..lol..that's why its been difficult to tell the good from the bad..

and that term McDojo is hilarious...that's exactly what they seem to be...

KickChick, I will definitely look into those links..thanks so much...and age 33..you made me feel so much better

Doug, thanks for the advice...I basically want to work on me..my strength, fitness, balance, things like that...then I can concentrate more on the self-defense aspects...If I can find a discipline where I can do this all together that would be kool...

you gotta be quicker on the draw G95 lol....thanks for replying and I need all the help I can get lol...

thanks everyone...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katana wrote:
Thanks everybody....you are really making feel welcome here ...... KickChick, I will definitely look into those links..thanks so much...and age 33..you made me feel so much better

You're welcome and Good Luck ... do keep us posted!

You will feel even younger in knowing that I am still training at age 43! (shhhhh )

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katana.

Look at the "McDojo" thread we have in the General Martial Arts section. That will tell you what to look out for as far as the school being a "McDojo." I happen to be stuck in one, but I did find a good school. Good luck

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you been to see any classes yet? if so, what styles are you thinking about? Taekwon do is a good style to get into, but make sure its a good school, there are sooooo many mcdojos out there.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the story of my life. One day late and one dollar short.

Love, work, play you name it. LOL

RockyMtnMark
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katana,

You're certainly NOT too old at 20-ish to be starting in the martial arts. I started at 40, and will be taking my yellow belt exam in less than two weeks. My balance, coordination, strength, and fitness have all improved since starting approx 2-1/2 months ago. My wife (also 40), who joined at the same time, has experienced similar results. We've taken to Karate so much that we now have a wavemaster and speedbag in our basement!

--RMM

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I like to hear!! .... Good for you!!! (and your wife too!) You may want to stop on by and join our little (but growing now) Over 40 Club http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5125&start=15
Also stop on by Introductions and introduce yourself to us!

Thanks for offering Katana the encouragement!

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Rocky. I have a B.O.B. in my living room, belt racks on the walls, a "toy box" full of "karate toys" (re-breakable board, kicking shield, ect), and our VHS rack is getting full of martial arts related movies, TKD related vids, and TSD related stuff. Now I'm collecting Hapkido related vids LOL.

RockyMtnMark
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also purchased a pair of focus mitts/targets, and they're great. We try to replicate the drills that we do in class, etc. Also, the double "clapping" paddle is fun to practice with. Next on the "shopping list" are some Eskrima sticks.

Katana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much

All of you have been very supportive...I really appreciate it...

KickChick-- that is great that you are still active...43 is not old at all..it's actually very encouraging...thank you for sharing that with me

Zero-- I haven't been to a class yet because I'm getting my classes together for this semester first (graduate school)..but I soon will..probably the beginning of Feb. I am leaning towards TKD..but I'm not sure yet...

RockyMtnMark-- that's great that you and ya wife are doing this together...soon you both will have a full gym in ya basement lol...

I'm about to head to the "McDojos" section in the general area..

Thank again for everybody's thoughts and help
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: