Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Katana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Need Some Help With Getting Started....Thanks Reply with quote

Hey everybody...

I wanted to study martial arts for a long time....

I finally am able to....and I have been looking into it for the past couple of months...but I still am having trouble deciding...

I am a 20-something female who feels like I am starting too late...

now I have been told by many that you are never too old to start..but I just wish I started when I was younger...

I also live in the NY area...so if any one can guide me in the right direction towards a discipline that is not that difficult to get into (cause I'm not the most in-shape person lol)...and dojos with good reputations...not overally expensive....I REFUSE to go to Tiger-S. lol

I would like to focus on self-defense, my balance, strength and getting in better shape... which also covers every discipline lol...
any information that could help..I would really appreciate it...THANKS!

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly welcome to kf.com! secondly you are right in saying that it is never to late to learn to defend yourself. and thirdly do you know what styles are being taught around your area? im sure we could give you enough info on each for you to make a decision.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, welcome to the forums! 20 isn't late to start, i know of 50 year olds that just started. what are some arts available around your area? i wouldn't suggest joining those places where there's a lot of little kids running around or you might feel too awkward. look into a school where they have seperate classes for adult/kids.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katana:

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum and find plenty of useful information. First, look at your yellow pages and find out what's available. Second, do a search on the internet of the specific styles you have found and get some background info on each style if available. Third, try to define what you want to gain in your training. Fourth, call the dojos you are interested in and find out general information, such as how much they charge, if they deal on a month to month basis or contract. How long are the lessons, do they offer private lessons and how much.

Next, narrow down the places and go visit them. Take a look around the dojo. Is it clean, parking in the area readily available, neighborhood it's located in, etc. Talk to the instuctor, parents or other students and get their feedback about the place. See if they offer a special deal like say $30.00 for 30 days of training or something similar.

Keep in mind that it'll take more than 2 or 3 free lessons to know if this is the art you wish to train in, so set a realistic goal in regards to your journey into your martial arts training. Oh, and don't worry about how old you are or what kind of shape your in because in due time, you will see a change in yourself once you've been training for sometime.

Good luck!

Katana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks so much

I have found some different dojos...

and I've been warned about the contract vs. monthly issue...

I've only found dojos that give one free lesson only..30 minutes...

the regular lessons are an 45 min. to an hour depending on the dojo...

and yeah I gotta be in an adult class..I would honestly be uncomfortable with kids...who could probably kick my butt lol

I'm not out of shape like as in overweight..I just dont feel as healthy as I could be...

it's just hard to decide...but it looks like I will just have to go to each dojo and see what kind of vibe I get from each one....

I'll keep everybody posted

but please...any more adivce is greatly appreciated..especially anyone in the ny area...

PacificShore, Zero and rabid hamster...thanks again

Katana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way..I would love everyone's thoughts on a good beginning discipline....

so far I've looked into TKD, Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, Kickboxing, Tai Chi, plus some others...

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katana,

I live in NY. I can help look into schools in your area. You don't have to tell me the town you live in, but I would need the county. I go to a Mcdojo (stuck in a contract), so I would definitely keep you from getting into my situation.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be cautious of a contract, yes. However, don't count one out because it uses contracts. Most of our Kuk Sool Won schools ask for contracts to get a handle on how many students they'll be keeping around. However, you are still allowed out of it with a little notice.

Any art can be a good one to start. Would you rather stand, or roll around on the ground? Would you rather punch and kick your way through someone, or put them in a controlling joint lock and wait for them to cool down, or the police to arrive? Do you want something intensely physical to make you supurbly fit in you youth, or something less intense, but still developing, so you can continue it into your older years?

Now, you don't really need to know the answer to these before starting. However, these are questions to keep in your mind as you evaluate your choices.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katana!
Welcome! You will find quite a few women here that can offer you some insight and guidance in your search ... not that the guys are slouches either )

Try this http://www.jenniferlawler.com/which_martial_quiz.html
This quiz focuses only on four martial art styles that are readily available everywhere.

Ms. Lawler has written several books geared toward women in the martial arts which you may be interested in reading. http://www.jenniferlawler.com/books.html

I for one began my martial art training in Tae Kwon Do at age 33 to develop all the same things you mentioned! And let me tell you, it has worked for me!
Good Luck to you and if you require any further info feel free to email me!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was going to tell you to get in touch with KK75 but she beat me to it. Deby has a link and Im sure its a good one.

Your never to old to start karate because unlike most sports you development is base upon you and not everyone else. Good luck.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: